Author Topic: Kx 500 standard style graphics  (Read 4183 times)

Offline cbmoor

Kx 500 standard style graphics
« on: October 31, 2009, 05:20:48 AM »
Hi there guys does anyone know where you can get a full graphic kit for a 2001 Kx500 2001 and that they would ship to Scotland in the UK. It does not have to an original type as thats cost far to much just for 4 stickers but I would like something along the same lines can anyone help.......Cheers

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 12:33:35 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline cbmoor

Re: Kx 500 standard style graphics
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:37:54 AM »
Thanks for that Tuck I will look into those sites that you posted. Took the KX out today to one of the tracks here and really enjoyed it. The difference between it and the crf is quit a lot. The overall power i would say is more than the crf but there is no bottom end and you need a different riding style for the kx. And when you jumped back on the crf it was just effortless. So going to tear down the kx put in a new piston kit and check out the kips to make sure everything is ok and one of these moose spacers people been talking about on here and there is a new FMF pipe coming home. Unfortunatly the top exhaust mounting is broken and today the lower mount broke as well so need to get some welding done on it now. And also going to get new springs and service the suspension over the next few weeks.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »
CB,
 I can't offer much help in the way of riding MX, all we've ever done was singletrack/woods.
There has been other discussion on riding style.  Several of the guys still ride MX and could offer some advice.
  Snoop a bit through the 500 engine modification threads for some ideas on moving around the powerband to suit your needs.
   Tuck\o/

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 12:24:37 AM »
Think a difference in thickness of head gasket can make a difference in low down power ? My one sounds like yours and pretty docile - mates one was real touchie on the throttle, pointed me to the sky on a jump lolllol . Funny thing was though when we lined up and dragged I'd take him - he'd complain I was throwing rocks at him :) 18 inch rear to his 19 helped. 

Flywheel weight is it that people run for more low down power ? Put real big sprocket on rear :)

Twice "The firing power" it should be sky's the limit with the K5 with mods - "like" a 1000cc four stroke dirtbike without the weight ? :)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:33:15 AM by kiwikx500 »
1990 KX 500

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 02:35:48 AM »
Kiwi,
 The thicker head gasket is to lower the compression a tad.  This may be something to consider, http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,3158.0.html
   The carb spacer is avail from Jerry "JFab"  I got one from him, Less than Moose and excellent quality. ( If you have the gumption, you can make one yourself at very little cost.)
 Just like lengthening the intake tract on automotive engines, this will move torque lower in rev range at some top end sacrifice.     
   You also mentioned re-gearing, again, gaining bottem end giving up top end.
 The guys here have worked out some head modifications that improved performance, (squish angle and width). This will help out across the whole rev range w/out any downside, at least to my knowledge.
 Another consideration "if your budget permits" is a PWK 38mm Airstryker carb.  This will give you more of the "snap" in the low and mid throttle,however... sacrificing top end.  The 38mm airstryker also uses the same type needles and jets your present 39.5 pwk uses.

I think several other guys will agree just going through the old girl and bringing her back up to snuff, (Reeds,seals,rings etc.) will give you a good baseline to start with and may surprise you how much the bike has in it stock. 
   Tuck\o/

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 03:19:42 AM »
CBmoor,
  For MX I liked the reed spacer gnarly pipe combo to widen the power and focus it down lower.  On big bores I prefer to use the mid-range and short-shift them.  Uses the power spread better, less wheelspin and take less effort to race. Stock, my K5 power wasn't to my liking for MX.  Cam.

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 04:27:49 AM »
Will graphics for a KX250 work for the same year KX500?

Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 06:23:09 AM »
No the shrouds are different.  Cam.

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 07:12:54 AM »
Thanks for all the input guys started stripping the kx tonight one of the radiators is a bit mangled so will sent it away for repair. Going to tear down the top end soon and replace piston and check out the kips is ok. The bike has just been imported from the States so going to check out the carb and see if the jets are the right ones for the north of Scotland  :lol:  Thats where this site is amazing going to follow the carb settings on the fuel section cheers to who ever organized that.

Over the next couple of days going to get the exaust brackets repaired.   Does anyone have any pictures of the top exhaust mount as mine is totally missing would be good to have an idea what was there. On reading some of the other threads on here, some people were mentioning welding square bar which was formed around the frame tube anyone got some pictures on that. The first exhaust bracket also broke off but it was still connected to the exhaust so will be able to get that welded on and get it strenghened.

Has anyone sandblasted and bleedblasted the paint of the subframe and swingarm if so what was the finish like, As the bike is going to be used for MX the less paint the better.

So got a moose spacer ordered from the States, get the jetting checked out and a fresh top end and will see how it goes.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 07:48:51 AM »
Subframe is steel so beadblasting won't get you much except some rust later. Cam.

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 08:24:10 AM »
Mine is aluminium

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 06:48:20 AM »
Thanks guys I got a full graphics kit organised due to some off the replys I got back so cheers for that. The bike will be looking good as the new plastics have also arrived. The Graphics are coming from the states, as with most things I have ordered not so easy to get aftermarket parts here for the kx5, you guys have a lot more available to you over there but there seems no problem shipping over to the U.K so thats cool. I can get anything original from my local bike shop next day which is a good service it just not so easy for the bling stuff! The subframe is at the blasters so will see how that looks when the paint is off and will proberly do the swing arm as well. just waiting now to get the frame welded for the exhaust brackets and off we go  :lol:

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 08:17:36 AM »
you are correct, the sub-frame should be aluminum.  i believe you will like the looks of it after it has been blasted.  (just looks "bare")  If I were to build another one, I would blast both the swingarm and sub-frame, then have the frame powder coated.  I like the looks of mine being polished, but its time consuming and you have to keep after it. 
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.