Author Topic: freshly rebuilt KX500, 2 days & SERIOUS PROBLEMS :-(  (Read 3680 times)

Offline beakeck

freshly rebuilt KX500, 2 days & SERIOUS PROBLEMS :-(
« on: November 01, 2009, 07:52:39 AM »
Hi ladies & gents

Any info would be much appreciated guys..

I had my mate split my engine from top to bottom, all new seals, bearings & gaskets were replaced, new racing reeds, reeds housing etc, the only thing he or we didnt touch was the power valve area..

Went out on her yesterday & today, she was hesitating & you couldnt do more than quarter throttle, 3rd & 4th smoothed out every now & then & when it did she went like s**t off a shovel but 1st 2nd were like I say - hesitant! Any opinons on this guys? Thought yesterday it would be because she was running in & was just lumpy because of this but today as well!!??

NOW TO THE WEIRDEST PART - today after an hour or so's running she starts ticking over really high then thick white smoke starts coming out the exhaust & then what appears to be OIL IN MY RAD COOLANT!!!!! Guys what you think, CANT BELIEVE IT! She's has hours of labour & hubdreds thrown at her :-((((((((

Many many thanks in advance guys!

Liam.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: freshly rebuilt KX500, 2 days & SERIOUS PROBLEMS :-(
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:10:58 AM »
To start with next time you "split the engine" don't do it from top to bottom. They split left to right. :-D :-P....Just kidding.

The oil in the coolant is the water pump seal. As far as the running bad part...not enough info.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 09:09:26 AM »
sounds like your getting oil in your water.

Offline beakeck

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 08:48:11 PM »
To start with next time you "split the engine" don't do it from top to bottom. They split left to right. :-D :-P....Just kidding.

The oil in the coolant is the water pump seal. As far as the running bad part...not enough info.

Haha I'll remeber for next time mate.. The running rough, she's just not letting me snap throttle, she hesitates/splutters.. power valve hasn't had any attention OH YEAH & when testing the spark me & my mate found it to be very weak - could this be a problem? With spark plug attached & kicking her over you can hardly see a spark & this should be strong right? Thinking may be a new coil & CDI box?

A friend reckons if it was the water pump seal it would have oil in gear box oil & not radiator???

Cheers.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:29:08 AM »
First off, before you assume the worst, check the simple things first. Not to insult you, but I would start with the carb, make absolutely sure the carb is perfectly clean. Do you have Ethanol added in you fuel "across the water" ?? If so, Ethanol based fuel has an extremly short shelf life, and Ethanol fuel is like a moisture sponge....

Then I would also suggest a compression test, to rule out bad rings..
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 06:26:25 AM »
The white smoke is most likely coolant being burned. That could also be the cause of it not running right. I suspect that you have a blown head gasket.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 06:45:34 AM »
2nd to Kxcam22. White smoke is water.

Offline zx14man

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 08:28:42 AM »
Its good possibility the head gasket is leaking and the oil in your radiator is acually 2 cycle oil from the combustion chamber. How did you clean the gasket sufaces? I have seen people ruin the head and cylinder by using a gasket prep tool or gouge the head and cylinder with a razor.. i would check here first if this started after you put it together.. Hope this helps.. Good luck :-D

Offline don46

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 09:42:45 AM »
here's my .02, definately not a water pump seal, more pressure on the water side so you'd end up with coolant in the oil. oil  in the coolant is probably a blown headgasket, if the gasket is blown you will see you radiator blowing off frequently, it will build pressure from the motor and blow coolant out the pressure cap. What you describe sounds more like a crank seal, even though it was just rebuilt, the clutch side seal could have been damaged during installation and now its sucking oil into the motor. I had this happen one time smoked white smoke and ran like crap. maybe you could do a pressure test to see if it holds.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come