Author Topic: Loading up off idle.  (Read 4965 times)

VaKxRider

Loading up off idle.
« on: January 21, 2004, 12:57:00 PM »
I have a 91 that I just got done going through the top end. I know that the KIPS is functioning and everything else seems to be good to go. The problem is that it is loading up horribly off idle. It is very bad after first starting it. I am no 2 stroke guru by any means but I understand the basices of carb tuning and the like.
Any suggestions on clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

Loading up off idle.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 03:02:16 PM »
va,if reeds are ok,not chipped or open,then i would check float level and pilot jet.i have seen cases were main jet come loose and be laying in bowl.i'm also from va.

mikesmith

Loading up off idle.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 09:27:30 PM »
When you say"it loads up bad when first starting it" do you mean when it's cold or every time you stop?It sounds like a jetting problem to me,hows your plug look, is it old?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Loading up off idle.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2004, 03:49:22 AM »
When was the last time the bottom end was pressure tested? In addition to a jetting issue (huge ass pilot jet) it could be an airscrew issue (turned all the way in) or a leaking wetside seal. When you pulled the jug was there any standing oil in the crankcase?

VaKxRider

Loading up off idle.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 03:59:38 AM »
.i'm also from va.
Whats up Bro.....What area do you live in??

OK....I just recently serviced the top end and went through the bottom to make sure everything was good to go. There was no transmission oil in the crankcase.

My set up currently is a Boyesen Rad Valve (replaced the entire intake) an FMF Gnarly and I am running a 152 Main and a 52 pilot. One thing that I have found odd is that I have to turn the idle (not air screw) screw in all the way to get it to hold any kind of idle. One idication to jetting is the copious amounts of smoke at idle but it cleans out well at higher throttle openings. I am realatively new to the mysterys of jetting 2 strokes so some experienced advice is always welcome....

And yes it loads up some while riding at small throttle openings but not as severe as when cold!!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Loading up off idle.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 04:38:34 AM »
d**n, thats some lite jetting.  :shock:

Here in AZ - elevation 2000' temp 70 -ish - I run a 175 main, a 58 pilot, 2 turns on the airscrew. 40:1 Super M and 92, clean airfilter and a VForce cage with FMF Fatty pipe.

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

Loading up off idle.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 07:50:40 AM »
va,i'm just east of richmond va.how about a little more info:
kind of oil and ratio you use.type and # plug and how did color look last time?how does slide look especially on side at adjustment screw and at cutaway?and was float levels ok? :roll: jetting is on the lean side.just for peace of mind do a compression ck to make sure.this is going to be a good one.

Rick

Loading up off idle.
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2004, 03:50:56 AM »
Yup, jetting seems way lite.  Don't think I even have a pilot that small in the race van.   :shock:

I the bottom end was just serviced, probably not a wet side seal.  

YUNGGUNNAZ hit the nail on the head.  Post up a few more details and I think we can help find the problem...

Rick

VaKxRider

Loading up off idle.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 12:30:07 PM »
I will agree with everyone that my jetting is WAAAYYYY lean.......that's what has me so baffled.

For premix I run Maxima Caster 927 at 40:1.
I have the float height set to spec (if I am in fact doing it correctly).
I have ordered a new float valve to see if that helps.

So what exactly should I be looking at on the slide???

I also noticed today that my shock is most definately blown. Anyone on the east coast know a good place to have it rebuilt.???

I love riding this bike but since it is a 91 it is starting to nickle and dime me to death!!!!!

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

Loading up off idle.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004, 01:08:32 PM »
va,was the carb ever spewing gas out over flow tubes?i was wondering whether the idle screw had chewwed a place in slide.

VaKxRider

Loading up off idle.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2004, 01:42:54 PM »
va,was the carb ever spewing gas out over flow tubes?i was wondering whether the idle screw had chewwed a place in slide.
It has overflowed before so I may need to check that. I would think that would cause more issues than just the loading up. But like I said before I am fairly new to all this so any suggestions are good ones.

I am also going to run a compression test to see if that may be the culprit.

The person I bought this bike from should be wrapped in the mouth for how he took care of this bike......The more I work on it the more I find wrong......

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Loading up off idle.
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2004, 01:47:33 PM »
I live @ 1000' or so in the Upper Ohio River valley, near Pittsburgh PA.  The only way I could get my bike to idle was with a 52 pilot jet.  I think a 50 would be even better.  It started very easily the other day in sub freezing temps.  It's not too lean.

If I was looking for perfection, I'd try a 50.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Loading up off idle.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2004, 01:59:53 PM »
Oh yeah, you're gonna LOVE cleaning Power Valves with that Castor 927 :wink:

Leaves carbon deposits that are hard as diamonds :lol:

VaKxRider

Loading up off idle.
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2004, 02:21:00 PM »
Oh yeah, you're gonna LOVE cleaning Power Valves with that Castor 927  

Leaves carbon deposits that are hard as diamonds
Like I said I am a relative two smoker novice. Is there a premix you would recommend to make that job easier??

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Loading up off idle.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2004, 04:17:50 PM »
Super M :grin: