Author Topic: Leak through head stem nuts  (Read 3894 times)

Offline kiwikx500

Leak through head stem nuts
« on: October 23, 2009, 12:00:40 PM »
Had some bottom end work done at a dealer and noticed after about the fifth run there was a little amount of oily film seeping out the top of the head stems nuts, replaced the washers and seems to have fixed the problem on 2 out of the 3.

When I took the nut off beside where the small water hose goes into the head cover (gear change side) a slight seepage of anti freeze came to the top (very small amount)

Is this normal ?

Can the nuts be tweaked out on the trail when the motor is hot or is this a no no ?

(The bike uses no water, no sign of any bubbles when radiator gap removed - starts and runs well)

Cheerz
1990 KX 500

Offline Larry Wiechman

Re: Leak through head stem nuts
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:38:28 PM »
You have a head gasket leak.  :-(

I'd have a talk with the friendly local dealer and his mechanic.

Larry

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 02:20:22 AM »
Almost every engine that I have ever seen that had a composite head gasket on it leaked. They never seem to have issues with combustion gasses in the coolant but they are wet all around the head and even as you say, leaking through the studs. I have measured the compressed fire ring on gasket that were leaking and they are usually .005 -.010 thicker than the gasket at the outer edge. I have not taken into account spring back of the steel material as it was just something to notice. My thoughts are, how can the head gasket seal if it can not be evenly compressed. Stewart turned me onto Cometic and I have not seen one leak since on any of my bikes. I use Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket #80697 on both sides of the gasket, some use them dry.

p.s. kiwikx500... I would not tweak my nuts! And if I did, I would not tell anyone. :-D

JFAB
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:23:57 AM by jfabmotorsports.com »
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 01:06:51 PM »
p.s. kiwikx500... I would not tweak my nuts! And if I did, I would not tell anyone.

:-D My Mrs normally does mine - think she keeps it pretty quite too.

Cheerz Larry and JF

Just remembered when bike came back from dealers and took it for a run water was being lost from the radiator and an air block boiling sound could be heard (discovered leak in hose under fuel tank - had not leaked water prior to reco) most likely cause of gasket eventually blowing.

Yep read all sorts of complaints about fibre gaskets on the net.

Friend goes on a forum and a KX500 owner on there said to check the torque of the head stems and that a copper gasket is standard. Best to go for OEM copper gasket then ?   
1990 KX 500

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »
Cometic gaskets are embossed steel. I would run that. OEM is not copper.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:45:16 AM »
Cheerz for that JF - really appreciate your advice - off to their site 8-)
1990 KX 500

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 03:40:18 PM »
The coated head & base gasket are nice. I reuse them acouple of time when doing R & D work. Seals up nice with kawasaki uneven surfaces.

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 08:41:19 AM »
Cheers Kaw rider

Where can the coated head and base gasket that you use be purchased online from please ?

May be exactly what is needed once the feeler gauge and straight edge goes on, JF's permatex spray sounds a good option too.

When took the head off there was no bonding of head - gasket and block what so ever, could not believe how easy it lifted off - dealer has used a gasket that looks like its made from sheet metal painted black  :-o
1990 KX 500

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »
  Kiwi KX,
 Something I picked up from the Guys here was to "Lap" the Head and Cyl.
  I Realize you don't want to pull the cyl again, however maybe next time she's apart this may be something to consider.
  Check this thread  http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,4000.msg29393.html#msg29393

I don't have any high tech equipment, a big piece of glass, some sandpaper and some acetone (to wash/flush the sandpaper)   This may help with the leak, and the guys also mentioned chamfering the stud holes in the cyl.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kiwikx500

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 12:02:07 AM »
Cheers for taking the timeout Tuck to post all that - good effort considering you usually chewing on a bone :-D

Non hi tec tools suit my budget :) Its just what I needed thanks to tie in with the other shared info

Cheers boys - Tops !
1990 KX 500