Author Topic: bottom end problems!  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Bigtim

bottom end problems!
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:58:03 AM »
i've been having problems with the "new" 99' kx5 i got this spring.  Just split cases for exploratory search expecting a shift fork to be bent or something... and no such luck. after cleaning and inspecting everything, i havent really found any failed parts.  when i had it r\unning it would shift and run strong in all gearrs( not slip out when loaded) but would only hard shift with no clutch, pull the clutch and she aint shifting. when i had the right side cover off, the shiftstar that conects shaft to drum, had a hard time going from N to 1st.  clutch worked good, plates are like new, i cant really think of anything else worth mentioning.  anybody had problems like this before?  expected it to be bent shift forks, damaged drum, or sheared off shift dogs. but it all looked good :? :? :?

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: bottom end problems!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:44:01 AM »
Never heard that issue. Seems the trans likes the load to help it shift but take away the load by pulling in on the clutch and it will not shift. Does sound like more like a shift fork/fork pin/drum. Just a tip, since the cases are split re-assembly cases (with out crank) with trans installed and clutch lever/components and see if it shifts by hand. If it doesn't want to shift by hand then you have an issue with the shift drum/fork/fork pin etc. I have a set of shift forks/pins and drum from a I think an 2000 or 04 model KX500 that I could sell cheap or heck I might just send them to you if you need them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:45:32 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 08:11:31 AM »
thanks for the advice!!!   i ordered the 6.00 part that goes from shift shaft to shift star, b/c that tlooked like the only worn item i found. this bike seriously only had abou15hrs on it. and i sort of expected if a fork, drum, dog etc had failed, i'd be able to tell. checked out everything listed in service manual as far as service limiits on all these wear items, and thay all seem like new..    forks run about 60.00 and a new drum is 140.00  .  the worst part is that im really only doing these exploratory repars, just to sell the dang thing. stupid divorce :cry:

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 10:45:29 AM »
...  the worst part is that im really only doing these exploratory repars, just to sell the dang thing. stupid divorce :cry:

In that case you should sell cheap to a member, just to get back at her.  Say it was broken, so it went cheap.  :evil:

Where are you at?  :-D

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 01:53:09 AM »
shes not ge :-otting the bikes. i have to sell to pay legal fees. this bike is not going cheap... tune of at least 2k.  i wish i diidnt have to let it go.  im in PA but the bike and i are either wintering in Co  or   MT.  i'll post if i put it on ebay.

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 04:52:19 AM »
That's F-N depressing  :|
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 10:22:22 AM »
depressing is an understatment...devistating doesn't even do my situation justice.  i've had to change my emergency contact info. any body else out there... please chime in about my tranny issues not my f'n depressing life.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 12:32:15 PM »
Tim
  In time you will get everything back again and more. Then you will be able to ride when you want, come and go when you please.
  Divorce really is painful , but if you dont self destruct, your life will become better than before.
 John
PS hope you get the 500 to shift right too.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 03:30:29 AM »
thanks a lot for that johnnie.  one foot in front of the other. it would have been easy if it were mutual. she just desided to leave me. the six dollar part should be in tomorrow, it s the shift pawl. PART #13165-1322.... i'll p ost after the complete teardown/ rebuild and a successful test ride.

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 01:39:32 PM »
update!  The bike still kind of shifts quirky. Its all cool once u get used 2 the quirkyness. Shifts fine  8-)without clutch, pops right into any gear you want out of neutral but doesn't shift too clean under load with clutchpulled, but speedshifts fine. The bike is so new I wonder if the problem comes from not breaking enough yet? Anybody had this happen to their superfresh bikes?  I'd be pretty p.o.' d if a new bike from service or wearever didn't shift smooth. Internal inspection showed no worn or failed parts :?

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 01:52:53 PM »
Is the clutch basket notched.

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
nope. clutch baskets and stock plates looked new

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 07:37:57 AM »
 Big T,
I'm wondering if the clutch is fully disengaging, are you getting the full travel out of the clutch arm?  I took a caliper, and best I could measure, found about 15/16" travel  at the end of the clutch arm. (that is with about the thickness of a nickle freeplay at the lever.)
  http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem.php?make=KAWASAKI&type=DIRT&model=KX500&year=1999&groupId=28797&modelyearid=582
    This link should go to the exploded view of the clutch at motosport.  Could one of the washers not have gotten put in at the factory ?   all it would take is a washer thickness to keep from full disengagement and give you that notchey, not quite  enough release you describe.
   I have also seen the "push rod" bent and not working and or binding.    
Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:47:03 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"