Author Topic: upsidedown shock?  (Read 4288 times)

JHobson

upsidedown shock?
« on: February 22, 2003, 11:18:33 AM »
This may sound like a dumb question, but I've just bought an '86 kx 500 and I think the rear shock might be fitted upside down. On this year model (or are they all the same?) the bottom of the shock is fixed solid to the frame, while the top moves up & down on a rocker arm.
What I need to know is, the end with the pipe to the reservoir and the preload adjuster was at the bottom, is this right or should it be at the top?

maicobreako

upsidedown shock?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 12:52:26 PM »
The shock is mounted with the reservoir oil line at the bottom and the shaft on the top side, Thats how the old UNI TRAK setup was I think till the 87 models. If you never seen one of these older KX's they seem a little odd at first with that configuration , Keep an eye on the shock bumper and the cap on the shock body that covers the seal head and circlips for dissasembly, Because of the "upside down" design water and dirt tend to accumulate under the cap from washing and muddy conditions. Which causes the seal head to leak over time. Its a good idea to remove the shock peridically and remove this cap and clean around the seal area. Good luck to you.  :P

JHobson

upsidedown shock?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 06:26:30 AM »
Thanks for that info and the luck, I think I'll need it! A cap to protect the seal you say?, I don't have one of those, I suspect if I did my shock wouldn't be quite so knackered, duh!
One thing left puzzling me, if the shock's mounted correctly why are the bottom brackets digging into the shock body and chewing up the preload threads? :?

maicobreako

upsidedown shock?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 01:38:38 PM »
If your still in doubt , or think you may be missing some suspension linkage parts (quite possible), check out  www.kawasaki.com and go to the vehicle information  . There you can look up every single nut and bolt on just about any Kawasaki motorcycle or atv. Just type in the bikes stats (date , model, size,etc) there is excellent diagrams and part numbers also. 8)

JHobson

upsidedown shock?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 11:07:07 AM »
Thanks for that link, really usefull looking site, still no closer to figuring out problem though, as I seem to have 'most' of the bits that I'm meant to, oh well, if it works why change it? The rest of the bikes a bit rough any way so I won't worry!
What it did tell me is that the bike's probably an '85 (drum rear brake) not an '86, unless US specs differed from UK.