Author Topic: small amount of oil in my coolent?  (Read 4611 times)

Offline medicman

small amount of oil in my coolent?
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:26:14 AM »
Title says it all, when taking off the radiator cap there is a small amount of black oil floating on the serface. What is causing this? How do I fix this? You guys are awesome thanks! Medicman

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: small amount of oil in my coolent?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »
sounds like your kips chamber is leaking into coolant circuit. and also drain the gear oil to see if there water in it too.

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 01:50:07 PM »
The first thing that popped into my head was a bad water pump seal. If its a waterpump seal, your trans fluid will most likely have water in it.

Offline medicman

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:17:46 PM »
OK, so tranny fluid has some milky color to it but not a crazy amount. Would this be the water pump seal? If so, whats the process in replacing that?

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 12:31:45 AM »
a bad head gasket will sometimes introduce residual oil into your cooling system. Pull your sparkplug and smell it if it smells "sweet" like antifreeze, you have a blown head gasket.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 06:50:47 AM »
Did this just happen once ? Or is this a  chronic issue ?  Maybe I have some type of denial personality, but I would change the coolant and change the oil to see if this happens again. Due to the location of the radiators and coolant, it seems more likely the coolant could get into the oil and seems unlikely that oil would get into the coolant. But then again anything is possible. I fail to see how a head gasket can allow coolant into the transmission. 
 Please keep us posted, as I like a good mystery that has a happy ending.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 09:53:39 AM »
I'd bet its the water pump seal, not a big deal.

If it were me, do the oil pump seal, and then pull the top end just to be safe.

Offline medicman

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 05:04:03 PM »
Is the oil pump seal the water pump cover and gasket? or something else? Should I just pull the head gasket or pull the entire head?

Offline no sub for cubes

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 06:23:18 PM »
hi
i think they are refereing to the water pump seal not the oil pump seal because the k5 doesnt have an oil pump,if you remove the water pump cover and the pump rotor  the seal is behind there,not sure but i still think you willl have to take the hole clutch case off to remove it and replace it.if you have oil in your water and vice versa then it does sound feasable that you have a leak there.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 06:29:06 PM by no sub for cubes »

Offline medicman

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 06:43:07 PM »
cool thanks for your reply. Can someone tell me if I have to remove the entire cover to get to the seal or can I get to it from the water pump?

Offline no sub for cubes

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 07:15:49 PM »
from what i can see from looking at one of the online diagrams id say for sure you need to remove the clutch cover to do it cos the seal pushes in from the inside up against a lip then the bearings and the gear shaft,if it was my bike thats where id start,drain the oil and water,replace the seal gives you chance to have a look at everything in the clutch side at the same time,replace the fluids and see if its cured the oil/water mixing.
its not a big job to do but for sure one of the best things you could invest in is a clymer manual good luck with the repair  :-)

Offline medicman

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 05:12:08 PM »
Do any of you guys know the OEM part #  for the gasket that would fix the above problem

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 06:27:49 PM »
I believe it is 92049-1366, SEAL-OIL,MHSD8X18X10J-1. Go to your local shop and tell them you need a water pump seal.

You should really pick up one of these, they make working on your bike much easier. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0892879602/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001V9BC8I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=18YZP4ZAPK2X251QVQ66