Author Topic: Looking for aftermarket parts for a 1985 kx250  (Read 4647 times)

Offline kxbob

Looking for aftermarket parts for a 1985 kx250
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:53:06 AM »
Need some help please......
I'm trying to find parts, specifically chain guide and slider. I have tried the E-bay route, buying 25 year old bits of plastic that fall apart after a few rides and I found that I can't really afford to do that. So I need to find somewhere that sells proper after market parts for an old bike. Therein lies the problem.......I can't find anything much earlier than  1988.
Does anybody know of anywhere that sells old stuff for old bikes with old owners ?

Thanks

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 01:14:03 PM by kxbob »

Offline jinxy

Re: Looking for aftermarket parts for a 1985 kx250
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:07:34 AM »
Hi mate yes is is hard buying bits for old kx s i have an 84 250 still trying to get bits for it
have you tried nightmare kawasaki
for fenders,they used to have a few sliders i think
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:50:05 PM by jinxy »

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:05:39 AM »
I know where a complete, running, 84-85, 125, with a disappointed owner, is. My buddy had the cylinder rebuilt only to find the seals were bad too. Should have been obvious, but he doesn't want to spend any more on it. Maybe 20 mins on cylinder and piston. That was while he tried to fix the smoke bomb effect of the seals. I'm sure he'd part with the whole bike cheaply or trade for KDX 200 bike or KDX 200 engine. Are you close to Indiana?

The bike is all there, but plenty of things need replaced like tires and levers, but with, like mentioned, a motivated sellar. Its not a 250, but maybe lots of parts are interchangeable, I don't know.

It had Olihn Shock and a DG Pipe, if I remember correctly.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:42:27 PM »
 Bob,
 I did some snooping around and all the stuff I could find was at a premium price, just as you stated.
  What I found out was that after the initial run of parts, the manufacturers will "sub out" a parts run if they have a demand for them.  So Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda Etc.  will have someone make 1000 more cases or triple clamps etc. using the OEM's specs.
  You are not only paying for the manufacture of the part but paying (the now Middleman) Kawasaki for stocking,inventory and accessibility etc.
  That's why after about 6 model years the prices of parts seem to way out of line and begin to get scarce.

Have you considered "Fitting" a newer model Chain guide and slider?  I know it may not be "the correct" part, however it should still guide and slide as intended. You can usually modify the parts to fit without having to cut/drill the bike.
   Just like the guys who modify the newer style rear fenders to fit the older KX's.  Yea, you have to cut the new fender to fit, but haven't cut or drilled the frame.
    The only other option I can think of is to keep checking E-bay, the local papers, Craigslist et al.
  Tuck\o/ 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline jinxy

Offline kxbob

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 06:51:02 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm in SoCal so the Indianna KX won't help, thanks tho.
I think I will go the "finding newer bits that nearly fit and make them fit" route.
I was hoping that somebody was going to say " go to this website and find all the old KX parts you need for really,really cheap" ........Then I put the pipe down.
I havn't tried Kawasaki Nightmare yet, I will do that now, thanks.
Bikebandit is good........But expensive
My 250 is a backup bike, so I want it to be in good shape, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on it.
I've got a KX500 for that.
Anyway, thanks for your help, the search goes on.

Bob

Offline nd4speed

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »
well I have chain slides cause i own a couple 1986 KX250s and Tecates.
http://forums.everything2stroke.com/kawasaki-dirtbikes/17112-my-250-kx250-1986-a.html

1986-87 Tecate chain slides are reproduced and sold on ebay all the time. These are the same as 1985-86 KX250.

Hard to tell what you are looking for but they are out there.

As for chain guides, those seem pretty generic.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 03:37:54 PM by nd4speed »