Author Topic: Considering a purchase, need info  (Read 1805 times)

Offline geedavid

Considering a purchase, need info
« on: September 26, 2009, 01:28:20 AM »
Considering buying a clean 98 model and can not remember if the cylinder can be bored or not.  This pretty much my deciding question between a KX and a CR.

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Considering a purchase, need info
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 02:08:07 AM »
David,
The KX500 comes from Kawasaki with a plated cylinder, but alot of them have had sleeves installed :-P which are boreable like the CR. The plated cylinders will last MUCH longer than a steel sleeve, and is better on piston life as well. I personally see a sleeved cylinder as a BIG negative when I purchase a bike & often is a deal killer. Also note that just about all of the new bikes come with plated cylinders now as they are superior to a sleeve. If you are not interested in the KX500 with this info post on here where one of the members can pick it up.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline azracer19

Re: Considering a purchase, need info
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 05:57:28 AM »
I had one of my 500s seize BAd piston was melted to the cylindar... I had it sleeved, big mistake, it used pistons and also ran very hot, finally bought a new cylyndar and had no problems after that, dont know about buying a new cylindar now days, as i cant even find graphics for my 500. but there are a few companies that replate in nickasil i think. The 500 motor is superior to the Cr motor. Its quicker lots fasrter. I think it depends on what kind of riding you will be doing. Desert trails or races  the KX...... strikly motocross sorry KX fans ( i am one ) the CR