Author Topic: Just bought a mint 2003 K5 today, not as much power as expected?? have pics :)  (Read 22292 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

The jets were way off (52, 158, position 2).

When I got it I rejetted it to 172/58 and position 3. I only ran about a 1/4 of a tank of 32:1 then changed right away with recommendation from the forum.

not knowing which altitude you,re at ,is a contradiction in terminus, they ran way to small jets ,so no clogging of your silencer here,it s you running 32:1  that clogs it up ,fosho,go to 40:1 right away
I live in NH at sea level.

Well, if you live in NH this is your lucky day, I live over by the seacoast, in Newton, NH, and I would be glad to have a look at your bike to see if we can get it straightened out, i'll let you take mine for a ride to feel what a clean, crisp KX500 should feel like (bring some extra underwear)
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline 93cbra

No I didn't check those, any easy instructions for that or should I just search?

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
flow is easy ,turn petcock on when the line,s off,it must flow unobstructed with fuelcap in place
floatheight is around 20 mm ,guessing ,my manual is in the shop
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline barryadam

Well, if you live in NH this is your lucky day, I live over by the seacoast, in Newton, NH, and I would be glad to have a look at your bike to see if we can get it straightened out, i'll let you take mine for a ride to feel what a clean, crisp KX500 should feel like (bring some extra underwear)

WOW.
Now there you go.
Rich'll give you the opportunity to see what CAN be done.
Sweet deal.
"The power of the forum."
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline 93cbra

WOW.
Now there you go.
Rich'll give you the opportunity to see what CAN be done.
Sweet deal.
"The power of the forum."

LOL

PM sent!!

Offline 93cbra

flow is easy ,turn petcock on when the line,s off,it must flow unobstructed with fuelcap in place
floatheight is around 20 mm ,guessing ,my manual is in the shop

Thanks man, it does flow unobstructed but the petcock is extremely hard to turn (I've read this is common). I'll try to check the float tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Offline 93cbra

Guys, here's a video of my exhaust valve and cylinder. Anything stand out as looking wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFfKE4sWbXs
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:56:01 AM by 93cbra »

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Super nice bike. I think Stewart's favorite year. Looks like the powervalve is good, to me. Mine opens quickly also. I think you need a piston and rings by the looks of the carbon on the side of the piston. There was a real good thread on piston reading on here. It would be a good idea to search for that. A "Dark brown crown" is what you want. Dark brown above the rings, that is. When it starts creeping past the rings, you need rings. Once it covers the whole skirt, chances are it needs a piston too. Beyond that I'd recommend new tires and taller gearing. It will rip.

Offline 93cbra

Thanks!

Offline Polar-Bus

93cbra is tentativel bringing his bike down to my shop next weekend. After getting some history feedback on his KX500, All's I can do is just go over usuall everything, I want to set his jetting (which seems WAY lean), to my proven jet specs, then do a compression check of both his and mine, and then probably it's off with the top end.....
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
  Polar B,
 Good on Ya' for hooking our brother up!     
    Thanks to all you guys who take time out of your day to post up and help out!
  This may not be the largest forum on the  web, but it sure has alot of Heart...
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Polar-Bus

Heck, I just think it's way cool I found another KX500 owner nearby. 500cc bikes are an extremly rare breed here in NH.

(wait till I talk 93cbra into studding his tires, and heading out on the ice with me this winter.... :)    )
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline 95formula847

Heck, I just think it's way cool I found another KX500 owner nearby. 500cc bikes are an extremly rare breed here in NH.

(wait till I talk 93cbra into studding his tires, and heading out on the ice with me this winter.... :)    )

That is cool. I havnt found any 500s yet. I only know of two people with 450f's.
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R

Offline 93cbra

Studs... ice... sounds like it's going to be a fun winter!!

Offline Grunty-Motor

hurry up lads! need to know the outcome....sounds exactly the same as whats wrong with mine. doubt i am goign to have to give in break into the motor(crank seals?)