Author Topic: Just bought a mint 2003 K5 today, not as much power as expected?? have pics :)  (Read 22289 times)

Offline 93cbra

yeah 32:1  I'll try higher

Offline 93cbra

Maybe it has a heavy fly wheel on it? The bike runs perfect, just doesn't seem to have the explosive power in 3rd and 4th like you guys describe. It will definitely wheelie up in 3rd and 4th if I want it too (goose the throttle) but I can also sit forward and roll the throttle till wide open and still keep the front down. 

Offline Polar-Bus

yeah 32:1  I'll try higher

ACK !!!! you are drowning that engine with oil. I prefer 42:1, and I use Klotz R50 full synthetic. You also may be experiencing just a "loaded" engine all saturated with excessive oil and fuel in the crankcases. Try to find a nice LONG dirt road, and hold that bastage WFO, and listen and feel.... if you hear the rpm's lag, then slowly start to "clean out" now you are making peak power!
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline 93cbra

I tried that last weekend, upped the ratio and held it wide open for some good stints. Still doesn't have the power. The bike runs perfect, compression seems fine (after about 5 kicks I get 155lbs). I'm thinking that my power valve isn't working. I pulled the cover and it does move but maybe the linkage up in the port is broken (the lever moves a lot earlier than I would think, if I just give it a few RPMs of throttle the power valve lever moves). I'm going to take the exhaust off this week and see if the power valve is actually opening.

Offline Uzi9mm

Is the air filter over oiled?
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline 93cbra

I don't think so. When I bought the bike I ran the it(the filter was dirty) and then cleaned and oiled the filter ( not too much) and it ran the same.

Offline KX5MOD

Have you treid to beat a 450 on it ???
You should beat a 450 every race fairly easily, & smoke it on top.
If you cannot,,,,,then something is amiss.

Like i said above....you should  trump a 450 fairly easily....& that is about it in stock form.
Just abit more noticable power then a 450...............maybe 20% seat of the pants feel.
That is a good running stock K-5.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:05:50 AM by KX5MOD »

Offline Polar-Bus

I see lots of "bling" additions to your 500, this tells me the previous owner has some mechanical abilities. Did the P/O replace the top end? It a very distinct possibility the exhaust valve timing can be a tooth off. This will make the midrange power feel very flat...

I think after checking all the basics, the next step is tearing down the top end for a detailed inspection. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE OEM KAWASAKI SERVICE MANUAL FOR ASSEMBLY !!!!!
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline 93cbra

Thanks, if the power valve gear is a tooth off there's no real way for me to tell is there (I don't think the top end has ever been apart)? The gear doesn't come marked from the factory does it? Or is there a procedure to time it? I really think it's the power valve, bike runs great and has plenty of low end, just lacks top end. Is 155lbs after 5 or 6 kicks normal? Is it normal for the power valve arm to move after about just 500 rpms of throttle from idle?

I went from a 450 (geared real low) to this 500 and the 450 felt faster.

Thanks for the help guys.

Offline barryadam

If you have been running 32:1, move to at least 40:1 and REPACK your silencer.  Prolly full of oil and carbon.
Remove and clean the carb.  Really CLEAN it well.  Correct the jetting using the jetting chart here.
While the carb's off, put some new reeds on.  If you have the coin, get some V-Force IIs.  Biggest single improvement for me.
Count your sprocket teeth front and rear.  Whaddya got there?  Makes a lot of difference in the feel of power vs speed.
There is a lot of good step-by-step on proper assembly of the KIPS both here and in the factory manual.  It's really not that difficult.

Post pictures of your work as you go.

"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline 93cbra

Thanks

I've got the stock gearing and have also taken the carb apart and cleaned the heck out of it. Also replaced the jets per the chart (the ones it came with were WAY out).

It has V-Force reads in it already. I'll check the silencer to see if it's clogged, maybe since the guys was running the wrong jets it clogged the silencer.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Yeah I did it before also :)

I checked out my bike. The jets were way of (52, 158, position 2).
the mainjet is way to small at sealevel
Thanks
I've got the stock gearing and have also taken the carb apart and cleaned the heck out of it. Also replaced the jets per the chart (the ones it came with were WAY out).
It has V-Force reads in it already. I'll check the silencer to see if it's clogged, maybe since the guys was running the wrong jets it clogged the silencer.
this ,not knowing which altitude you,re at ,is a contradiction in terminus, they ran way to small jets ,so no clogging of your silencer here,it s you running 32:1  that clogs it up ,fosho,go to 40:1 right away
 :-)
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline barryadam

How do the reeds look?  Worn?  Fresh?  Do they seal?

By stock gearing, you mean 14/47, right?

Know any other KX500's you could try for a comparison?  Maybe plan a ride and invite some of the other inmates here and try a bike swap for a test ride.  Where are you located?

Good luck...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 05:58:18 AM by barryadam »
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline 93cbra

The jets were way off (52, 158, position 2).

When I got it I rejetted it to 172/58 and position 3. I only ran about a 1/4 of a tank of 32:1 then changed right away with recommendation from the forum.

not knowing which altitude you,re at ,is a contradiction in terminus, they ran way to small jets ,so no clogging of your silencer here,it s you running 32:1  that clogs it up ,fosho,go to 40:1 right away
I live in NH at sea level.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 06:13:15 AM by 93cbra »

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
yes thats a perfect jetting,i have this jetting too ,on my mx k5
and you,re at 40:1 so also perfect

did you check fuelflow and floatheight also ?

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500