Author Topic: Just bought a mint 2003 K5 today, not as much power as expected?? have pics :)  (Read 22286 times)

Offline 93cbra

Hi guys, new to the forum and just looking for some feedback. I'll get right to it. On the road my (new to me as of today) 500 barely lifts the front wheel when rolling the throttle in 3rd gear. Seems a bit faster then my past kx 250 and yz450 but not by much. Is this normal?
I have a new plug and new gas. The sprockets are 47 and 14 (this is stock correct?)
I'm running a NGK B8ES plug
Not sure what the jets are (will clean them tomorrow and find out what they are (any recommendations on sizes? I live in NH close to sea level. Yes I realize there's a jet chart and will check it out).
Bike starts and runs great but seems to hesitate just a bit when hitting the throttle.

I'm runnning my fuel at 32:1

Just thinking it should have more power. The bike was maintained very well and not ridden much (not a scratch on the frame or plastic). The plug I took out was a bit blackish brown.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
i would check to see if the powervalves are working.

Offline 93cbra

Dam I meant to ask that, is there an easy way to tell if it's working (take the plate off and give it throttle and see if it moves??)

Also, anyone know what I should expect for a compression test?

Offline kaw rider

105-164psi is what the factory manual said.

Offline 93cbra

Thanks a lot! I'll check it tomorrow.

Offline kaw rider

depends on where your powervalves are at it will change your readings.

Offline 500freak

yours isnt running right at all.. my rips right up in 4 and 5th.
87 k5 Pc pipe,v-f3,pwk....SOLD!!
87 k5 stage 3 port,torque spacer 39.5mm carb,gnarly pipe,vf reeds,uni filter,bored 86.5
99 banshee 421 stroker beast!!!
75 dt400 all stock SOLD!
85 kx125 stock

Offline 98kaw5oo

Pull the plug out of the end of the silencer.

Offline muleman

lol

Offline Polar-Bus

lol

Don't laugh, it's probably true, I did it once, and now I never use those stupid friggin' butt plugs.....
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline 93cbra

Yeah I did it before also :)

I checked out my bike. The jets were way of (52, 158, position 2). The compression was 155. I rejetted it and it feels a little better. I guess I was just expecting more. I did all my testing on a road, I'm sure once I get it on the trails it will be a handful LOL

Offline azracer19

I did the same thing on the 450 it shot out like a cannon...going to use is when the neighbor kids have there potato gun fights... that turbine core silence he has cost me an overall ( in my class ) at the adelonto gran prix years ago...i crashed hard and the silencer the way it points down was clogged full of dirt, i noticed it while laying down watching everyone pass me 3 times. As far as not lifting the front wheel on a 3rd gear roll on,,,,theres a big problem unless he is lugging it just past the point of stalling. There are many times I wish it didnt come up so easy. Throttle control big time is needed. Sounds like jetting is way off or the kips is closed shut. i think even lugging it mine will come up.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
On the road my 500 will pull the wheel up in fourth with just the flick of the wrist, also in fifth but not as quickly.
 There must be something not set up right or mismatched modifications. There are many many riders who can outride me, but I have not found a dirt bike who can pass the 500 on a road. Usually when the other bikes run out of power on a road, that is when I wheelie past just to show off.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline 500freak

sounds exactly like my bike!!! GOT TO LOVE THAT POWER
87 k5 Pc pipe,v-f3,pwk....SOLD!!
87 k5 stage 3 port,torque spacer 39.5mm carb,gnarly pipe,vf reeds,uni filter,bored 86.5
99 banshee 421 stroker beast!!!
75 dt400 all stock SOLD!
85 kx125 stock

Offline dsrtrider

what oil are you using at 32:1?  I think most guys here run like 40:1 maybe higher. 
current bike 2007 ktm 300 xc-w - keeping two strokes alive
1994 kx500 -sold-made me the man i am today

1990 kx500-sold
1982 kx250-sold
1979 rm125-sold
1978 kdx125 -sold
1977 xr75 - first bike