Author Topic: cracked cylinder at head stud  (Read 2672 times)

Offline 95formula847

cracked cylinder at head stud
« on: September 08, 2009, 04:30:43 AM »
Well i got my cylinder back from the welder he did a real good job fixing the crack. It looks like there was never a crack there. But i tried to reuse the cometic metal head gasket and i see alittle coolant squeezing through the head and cylinder. just a tiny amount. None the less it needs fixed and needs fixed fast. The bike runs fine other than loosing the idle screw some how

Is it true that you cant reuse the metal head gaskets. As in, once they are tightened down on they are done? And if this is true i will need a new head gasket so if anyone at all has a new headgasket they can ship me fast id really really really appreciate it. As in by friday. I will pay w/e it costs. I have a big trip planned this comming weekend and the bike needs to be ready.
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R

Offline toomany

Re: cracked cylinder at head stud
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:56:06 AM »
I'm sure it's possible to reuse a head gasket, but I'd never do it. I've got too much time/money into my bike to do that.

Certain types of metal gaskets can be reused. Copper head gaskets are one of these types. I've seen drag racers reuse copper head gasktes, but they had o-rings in the block/heads.

Locating a gasket shouldn't be too hard, especially if it's an 88+ motor. If it's an 87 or older, www.cheapcycleparts.com has the gasket kit in stock. I know this because I order on last night. All the other major online compines (DennisKirk, BikeBandit, Motosport, RockyMountain, ThumperTalk) were all on back order or would have to wait 2-3 days before shipping.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:36:11 AM »
Copper head gaskets were reused in the old days by annealing them, that is heating them to cherry red then letting them cool.  It softens the copper so it will reseal.  The new steel ones are not meant to be reused as I understand them.  In a pinch, if the head sealind surfaces are will matched, some permatex motoseal or other good gasket sealer may be enough to get you riding.  I have lapped heads and used NO gasket on other engines - but the head must be machined for proper piston clearance. Cam.

Offline 95formula847

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:43:15 AM »
ok im just gonna order a headgasket and pay extra shipping for them to be here by friday. Its a 1991 model kx500 btw. I reuse copper header gaskets on my car all the time and they always seal fine.
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R

Offline 95formula847

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:44:54 AM »
oh and also is a 95 kx5 engine the same as a 91? Motosport.com has oem parts for earlier as 95 but no earlier. Im pretty sure its the same. It looks the same
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R

Offline 95formula847

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »
i put a new headgasket on and all seems fine. Although i may be paranoid but even with new orings and crush washer my new pro circuit pipe is leaking a fairly thin liquid. Could be coolant and oil but im hoping im just over paranoid. I took the bike up the street and it seems to ride great and after the ride i still had topped off coolant. SOOO idk
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R