Author Topic: Steering Damper  (Read 18818 times)

Offline cbxracer30

Re: Steering Damper
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »
A very cheap but effective steering dampener can be had from a GSXR 750 or 1000,cheap on ebay. Weld a tab just above steering stop on the front of the frame neck, drill a hole in it and mount the unit there then purchase a fork clamp from one of the road race suppliers or have one made. This is how I keep them from gettin the shakes at over 100+ in the quarter.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline joogz

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »
i think i would prefer the weld on

Offline kawi4ever

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »
Ive been thinking about buying a steering damper for my K5. How do you guys like it? Is it worth having? I have one on my street bike ZX14 and would never take it back off..lol Is it the same thing on the dirtbike? Thank You and sry for all the questions.. :-D

Offline amra500

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 06:46:51 AM »
iv been using a gpr bolt on on the kx 500 and never had any problems the only maintenance it needs is clean and grease the pin avery couple months

Offline BDI

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 08:49:13 AM »
iv been using a gpr bolt on on the kx 500 and never had any problems the only maintenance it needs is clean and grease the pin avery couple months
You know what works great on the pin  :-) after you clean and grease it put some shrink tubing over the aluminum coller and mount. it makes it just about maintenance free.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline amra500

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
heat shrink is a great idea, shrunk or unshrunk?

Offline BDI

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 05:32:10 AM »
You shrink it of course  :-D After you grease everything just cut a little piece of tube and shrink it over everything. poof sealed up tight.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »
I have both clamp on and weld on. I have not had a problem with ether, but I like the weld on better. It seems more permenant. I love my scotts, will put one on all my new bikes in the future. They are great in the rocks, and for high speed bar slap. They use oil, so they need to be maintaned, leek or not. Oil brakes down. I perferr the sub bar mount for two reasons, it rases the bars so it is more comfortable to stand ( I am not a tall rider, still more comfortable than stock). The other thing I like about it is you can still run a bar pad. You have to trim a bit out of the bottom side to fit over the stabilizer, but it does not compermise the "use" of the pad or the control of the stabilizer. After you put the cover on you can't tell it had been tuched. 

Offline bob larry

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 03:22:45 AM »
two bikes with stabilizers is impressive,.
I would like to try one out someday to see how they work

2001 KX500

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 05:44:03 AM »
Three bikes, but only two dampers. I switch one between the 300 and wrf depending on what flavor i'm feeling like. The 300 sees the most dirt, I have the sub mt(I will always buy sub mt from now on) so it is a few more steps to switch. I rode the wrf the other day, I really missed having the scotts. I don't really notice them on the bikes, but I sure notice when their off the bikes. You can really "choose" your lines, aposed to dealing with what the bike gives you. It seems like I have alot more control with the little gold box.

I leave the one I have on my supermoto mounted up due to anti-theft bolts. I was on a ride with a group of guys, we jumped on the frwy to get to the next bit of twisteys. When we stopped the guy on the "duck" asked me how I was able to kick back with one hand at 85mph with a cross wind on such a lite bike? (at almost 300lbs I don't think it's lite, but compared to a duck I suppose) He looked at my scotts and said "Oh never mind, do you think I could put one on this?"

Offline dirtjunkie85

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 10:52:18 AM »
Steering stabilizers are a great investment for any off roader. Im not a huge fan of them for moto though. I've only owned gpr's but their product is good as is their customer service. Personally like the under the bar model like this one.
steering stabilizer

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »
+1 under bar mount.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 03:37:34 PM »
My girlfriend and I have been using WER dampers on our bikes for years. She's been using them since 2001 and Ive been using one since 94. They are easy to mount and work well. Its not a night and day differance (any brand damper), you may not even notice it at first. But ride with one for a while then take it off and you will probably notice it then.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline myckmcclung

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 12:55:01 AM »
I use a GPR under bar mount bolt on, no issues with the clamping, but I noticed it is MUCH firmer when it is cold weather, and softer when it is Hot weather.

Offline ktmdude

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 08:42:04 AM »
I use a GPR under bar mount bolt on, no issues with the clamping, but I noticed it is MUCH firmer when it is cold weather, and softer when it is Hot weather.

When was the last time you serviced/had it serviced? I just sent two in to scotts, the one on my ktm is new enough to just require an oil change. (which can be done at home) Scotts serviced and updated parts in the older ones. It was $40 plus parts. I think it was around $130 for both and shipping. I would call GPR, see what they say. I think I heard they offer free services. Don't quote me, mite just be a roomer.