Author Topic: bike wont start have to pull start it any suggestions  (Read 1702 times)

Offline jdb1989

• Live every day like its your last
bike wont start have to pull start it any suggestions
« on: September 02, 2009, 06:37:18 AM »
i try kicking it over and nothing i kick the crap out of it and nada. i have to pull it with a truck. seems like there is compression. but i am stumped
DG@F RIDER

Offline tharden

Re: bike wont start have to pull start it any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:55:32 AM »
Three causes that I know of  Low compression, bad reeds, and leaking crank seals/other air leaks.  How does the bike idle? Also a bigger bore two cycle can run on low compression better than a smaller cc two stroke.

Offline jdb1989

• Live every day like its your last
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 02:34:01 PM »
the reed petals are worn but not enough to effect anything at least i think so. well i pulled the carb and cleaned it out and everytime i lean the bike to the right on the kickstarter side it it pours out gas from the overflow but when i lean it straight up its fine.i just cant figure it out it will Start by pulling it with A  truck but it runs like poop it will shut off and it was running kinda flat the last time i ran it like when the first few times i rode it wooh poooowwwweeeerr but i rode it and it was just flat like crap.
DG@F RIDER

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 05:13:53 PM »
You have probably heard all this already but do all the easy stuff first like a new NGK plug (check the gap), clean air box and air filter.  Fresh fuel+oil mix.  I saw in your post that you already cleaned the carb out.  Also, make sure carb settings are appropriate for temp and pressure.  If you are uncertain about jetting, there are guys here who can tell you almost exactly what jets u should be using.  In the past, I have often overlooked somthing simple when I had a problem.     
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 05:22:35 PM »
As an example, my buddy had a CR125.  On our ridin day he couldn't get it started.  He kicked it.  I kicked it.  So we did all the basics.  Washed the bike, cleaned the filter and carb checked the carb settings and cables.  Then we put in a new correctly gapped plug.  We kicked it some more and got it running.  It ran like sh!t.  Bog city.  NO power.  Bike didn't want to idle either we had to keep revvin it.  His reeds were broken and some of the reed was in the cylinder.  We were surprised it ran at all.  He sold the bike for almost nothing after that.  The new owner did the top end and put in new reeds and was back in business.   
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:52:30 PM »
worn reeds kill bottom end power. if they are bent away from sealing, sometimes for a quick fix they can be turned around, but of course new ones will work better. They need to seal. Looking through them should not have light showing. If you noticed they are worn, they are causing problems. Weak spark has caused a similar problem for another member.