Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 5954 times)

kiro29

Fuel
« on: February 05, 2004, 09:11:02 AM »
Hello everybody,

I Bought a K5 from 1999, it's a super machine but I've one question.
Is it normal that I can only run about 24 milles with one full gas tank?
and I'm talking slowly!
The bike is stock and carb. as a 52 pilot and 160 main, stock needle.
Can someone help me please, because where I live 1 gallon of unleaded 95 costs me about 5 us dollars.

Sharc

Fuel
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 09:49:06 AM »
Something is leaking....Stock tank should go almost twice that far.

Sharc

rdcjohn

Fuel
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 10:00:37 AM »
I get 56 miles tops with my desert tank. I believe its a 3.6 or so, thats prerunning Baja.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Fuel
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 11:05:51 AM »
I was getting 48 miles to a stock tank. With the 4.1 Clarke I can get about 85.

rdcjohn

Fuel
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 01:14:10 PM »
You guys made my day. I just bought this thing and was told only 56 in Baja, I will be running the Baja with 6 xr650s in a couple of weeks that can go 150+ miles a tank so I hope for 85. Thanks Paul.

teamgreen500

Fuel
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 04:34:36 PM »
Your gas is -probably- going out your float-bowl via a bad float level.
Is the gas cap "baffle" in-place? In other words...are you venting gas out the cap via the vent hose?

Manny

mikesmith

Fuel
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 09:56:37 PM »
I have gotten 60miles on a stock tank,and not putting around.I had a guy with a KDX with me and 50 to 60 miles was not to hard to get,I also have gotten back to my truck with a teaspoon of gas left.The best thing I did for mileage was to jet my bike as perfect as I could as weather and riding conditions changed,raise my float level a little higher than spec,and I made a "power now" plate for my carb.I still want a bigger tank though.Your bike must be rich,float level off,something because 24miles is way off.Keep you air filter clean also,all these things can add up to better mileage(also can depends on if your in mud,snow or sand).

kiro29

Carb. float level
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 03:57:53 AM »
Thanks for the tip,

I checked over the net and found an article about the float level of the PWK39, in the www.motorcyclecarbs.com that says it should be 16mm hope this is correct.
I also got my reed out and the cilinder intakes(I think) have been machined, can this be one of the reasons for the brutal need of gas that my bike has?
Another thing, if I can't start the bike and continue to kick it, after 5 or 6 times gasoline starts to leak from the cilinder (where the exaust goes into the cilinder), why?
Sorry about my english, and thanks again,

Miguel

mikesmith

Fuel
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2004, 08:47:34 AM »
I cant remember what I settled on for float adjustment,but I think it was 18 or 19mm.It was higher than what was listed in the book,but it cleaned up some blubbering I was getting over really nasty terrain and helped my mileage.I cleaned up the porting (cylinder intakes)and it did not hurt my gas mileage.As far as the fuel leaking out..that thing is FLOODING!That makes me wonder if the floats bad,adjusted wrong(to much fuel in the bowl) or the needle/seat is bad or has dirt in it.Are the vent lines clear(not plugged) because I would think youd have fuel comming from them leaking on the ground.Whats your starting procedure?Are you holding the throttle open to much?I dont have mine open the first few trys,then only 1/8 of a turn or a little more and Itll start.Hows it run?Does it load up or blubber?Whats the plug look like?Try your float first and go from there,try one thing at a time if you feel over whelmed.If fuels leaking at the head of the pipe you need new O-rings and high temp silicone on the pipe and a new washer at the cylinder would be a good idea,this wont fix your current problem but will keep you from ruinning the cylinder where the pipe fits in ,stop exauhst drool and youll pick up a little low end.Hope this helps.

teamgreen500

Fuel
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 03:00:49 PM »
Mas Problemas, Amigo!

You might need to take a look in your crank-case.

If you've got a flooded crank-case, then you've got ot go in and clean things out.

Good Luck!

Manny

kiro29

Fuel
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 09:37:21 AM »
Thanks a lot to everyone, I've changed the float height and runned 64MILLES with 1 1/2 gas tank.
 Sometimes I still have some gas leaking from the vent lines when I try to kick the bike even in flat ground and have to close the petcock, dont know why?!
But it's much, much better now, thanks again.
One other small thing my petcock is very dificult to open or close I've already disasembled it and lubricate but stills the same, is there anything else I can do?

Hei, Manny I'm not Spanish, I'm Portuguese so you have to write "Mais problemas amigo".

I'm glad I've found you guys!

Miguel

Sharc

Fuel
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 10:35:28 AM »
Sticky petcock...?

kawdude

Fuel
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 02:03:53 PM »
I hate sticky petcocks!!!  Mines the same way.  I'm afraid it's going to snap off.

sdkx500

Fuel
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 02:47:50 PM »
same here....i have been going to take it apart to see if i can fix it.  Anybody know what goes bad?

mikesmith

Fuel
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 08:44:34 PM »
I had my petcock stick and its worked great after I took it apart and cleaned it,that has been a few years ago to.What did you lube it with?Try a little never seize.Kiro29,you have gas comming from the vent lines because your float is sticking or the needle/seat are bad or have dirt in them.Did you clean these parts good when you had it apart?Did the float move freely?Not to hard to fix or replace and you may pick up some milage.