Author Topic: Spark plug?  (Read 4482 times)

FastKX500

Spark plug?
« on: March 15, 2004, 11:59:30 AM »
Okay I wanna get this clear is a NGK B8ES okay to use? Because it seems like they last longer then the higher priced plugs...I bought a platnium plug the other day and it lasted 2 fricken days, my b8es lasted since december...Maybe i got the wrong plug? its the one listed in "starting" section of the forum...Should i just stick with the B8ES or what?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Spark plug?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 03:45:14 PM »
It's hard to tell. How does the plug look? Black? Brown? White? Spotted? You could be running to lean and burning your plugs up, that could have been why your bike burned the last plug. It's hard to tell. I've used BR8EGV and used it since last January. I just replaced it with BR8EGVX or something like that. Some new Iridium or however you spell it. Hopefully, I will make it more than a year. B8ES is a fine plug. I don't see any harm in using it, it saves you about $9 per plug.

Check the plug, get back with what it is like.

Gabe

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Spark plug?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 05:33:45 PM »
BR7ES is my plug of choice.

I've had one in the bike for almost two years before I changed it out, and that was because it was making me nervous to have been in there that long. Proper jetting will reveal the plug you need - I didn't need a $10 plug, jetting revealed the $1.29 was working fine and winning races ;)

FastKX500

Spark plug?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 10:39:51 PM »
the plug is black , with no oil on it.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Spark plug?
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 12:33:53 AM »
Your jetting is too rich. What do you have in there and what type of riding do you do?

NastyNick

Spark plug?
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 02:55:37 AM »
I ran the NGK Iridium all last year.  Just replaced it yesterday, and I bought it at a local Champion store for $4 (compared to the local kawasaki dealer for $12!)

Sharc

Spark plug?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 05:18:49 AM »
Pretty sure whatever you run it has to be the "R" (resistor) type...I use BR8EG, motor's jetted a little rich, haven't fouled a plug ever in the 2002 K5.

FastKX500

Spark plug?
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 05:21:16 AM »
Im not sure what jetting I have...but when i fouled it it was trail riding..i was hill climbing up this hill and hit this stump 2 times and stalled it 2 times, so thats why it fouled i guess...and  I use klotz racing oil (benoil) and i mix it to 5 gallons of gas, and shake well.

toddwunsch

Spark plug?
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 06:36:21 AM »
For 2003 stock plug is BR8EG.  Team Green runs B9EVX which is what I run in my bike.  If you think your bike is fowling plugs at idle / low speeds, you can try to lean it out with the air screw.  Try running it two turns out.  Stock is 1.5 I believe.  If that doesn't help, you may need to lean out the pilot jet.  The air screw and pilot jet apply to the bike from 0 to 1/8 throttle.  The needle clip and main jet apply to the bike from 1/8 to full throttle.  Take a look at this to view the stock settings -vs- what Team Green runs on their 500's.

www.kawasakisportscenter.com/2003_Jetting.htm

Also, Ty Davis sells a air screw that can be adjusted by hand instead of a small screw driver.  www.ziptyracing.com  You'll want either the Keihin short-reach or Keihin long-reach depending on what the distance is from the collar of the air screw and the top edge of the roller ball.  For $21, it's a nice way to quick adjust your carb while on the trail.

Todd

Rick

Spark plug?
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 10:40:52 AM »
Yup, a black plug is a definite sign of carb issues.  

I'm not a big fan of either the BR8ES or the BR8EG (nickel).  While both are fine standard duty plugs, you are riding a high performance machine.  Platinum has a higher melting point, and thus longer wear.  Iridium plugs have been all the rage, so I tried a couple.  Didn't like the performance as well as platinum.

With a properly jetted and tuned bike, you should notice a performance improvement when switching to a BR8EVX.  I know that Team Green recommends the BR9EVX to get the proper flame front, but I've just never taken the time to rejet my bike for a BR9EVX.  Just too lazy...

Rick