Author Topic: Zip-Ty Pipe/Tank Combo Kit  (Read 14006 times)

NastyNick

Zip-Ty Pipe/Tank Combo Kit
« on: January 16, 2004, 05:15:15 AM »
I thought I saw posts on the Zip-Ty pipe/tank combo kit
 but can't seem to find them again.  Anybody out there using this?  Whats the performance compared to using a PC, FMF or stock pipe?

Anyhelp would be appricated.

Thanks!

NN

Oh, and I forgot to ask:  who makes the footpeg mount that doesn't bend?  I saw some posts on it a few months and now I can't remember who sells them.

Rick

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 08:08:47 AM »
Yup, been using the combo kit for over a year now.  Love the look, and the performance is similar to other pipes, except for the power at wide open.  The Zip Ty pipe suffers a little, but nothing worth being concerned about.  Very few folks are going to spend enough time at fifth gear pinned to even be important.

Don't remember who has the footpegs, but I am sure someone will post a reply on that issue...

Rick

mikesmith

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 08:09:46 AM »
Theres been a few post on the Ty Davis tank,Ricks been running this set up a long time(I dont rember there names,but a few new members also have it)look at Rick's pictures in the Gallery or go to ziptyracing.com,theres pictures there and the peg mounts your looking for.Ty's dad has peg mounts at Terry Cable or Pro Circuit has them to.If I remeber right the pipe doesnt have a lot of top end to it,and I always hear the tank held 4 gallons,but Ty's web site list it at 3.7 gallons.

NastyNick

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 08:13:28 AM »
Terry Cable!  Thats the name I couldn't remember.  Thanks!  I didn't see the peg mount on Zip-Ty, but I'll keep looking.  Thanks for the info.

NN

NastyNick

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 08:25:42 AM »
doh! now I know why I didn't see them.  Do a google search for Zip-Ty and click on the first link.

Instead of the normal site at http://www.ziptyracing.com , you get this: http://www.qualitysmart.com/products/zipty/zipty_home.htm as the first link.  Must be an old site.  My bad.

mikesmith

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 08:31:10 AM »
They have weld on or bolt on,new style or old style,aluminum or steel peg mounts.Now you have to pick the type you want!

Rick

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 09:13:02 AM »
My tank actually does hold 4.2 gallons, but I think there has been a design change to reduce the amount of weight on the top tank mount.  My fist tank cracked at the the top mounting points on both sides after about 11 months.  I called Ty, and they send a brand spankin' new tank free of charge.  I sent my old tank back for inspection, and shortly after noticed the tank size had changed.

I really like the added gallons of the 4.2, and have run the tank to less than one inch remaining in the tank on two occassions.  I was sure happy to be packing the additional gas on those two trips.

When I swap to a new KX500, I will be adding the ZipTy kit once again...

Rick

SLEEZ

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 05:29:05 PM »
I ordered mine 3 weeks ago, still waiting. Word is IMS doesn't have any tanks,they say they'll be shipped next week. I'll post pics of mine when everything is mounted. Just got my 93' KX250 fender on yesterday, man what a world of difference in looks.

kawdude

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 11:50:48 AM »
Pics would be great.  I'm contemplating this purchase also.

jmart233

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2004, 12:00:24 PM »
Can you get this ZipTy Tank combo for an 88 KX500?  We just got Sheppy's 88 KX500 running and he is looking to do some mods to it.  He hopes to do one handed 5th gear wheelies up Olds Hill.  I told him good luck, but he thinks he can do it.  The problem is that his exhaust system is completey s**t, What should we do?

mikesmith

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 07:48:44 AM »
The Ty-Davis tank cost some bucks,no offence but I think theres probally better places to put money in a older bike.Why no just buy a PC or FMF pipe for $175.00?

kawdude

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 07:56:27 AM »
Quote from: mikesmith
The Ty-Davis tank cost some bucks,no offence but I think theres probally better places to put money in a older bike.Why no just buy a PC or FMF pipe for $175.00?

In my case, I'm not so concerned with the pipe but the tank and shrouds.  I like the looks of the silencer but I'm afraid it would be too loud.  I personally want the stock silencer.  It's a lot of money for looks.

mikesmith

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 09:02:09 AM »
Rick runs a FMF on his and Destry Abbott ran the Ty tank with the stock silencer so you shouldn't have any problems.

SLEEZ

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2004, 02:24:45 PM »
Finally got the kit! Here's a couple of pics...

Offline demographic

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2004, 09:51:11 PM »
I have just ordered the four gallon Clarke tank for mine but if it were not for the cost and fact that the Zipty kit would limit the spannie choice I would have gone for it.

Looks sweeeeet and with the 250 mudguard far more up to date.

I have kept the 500 rear mudguard on mine cos then I don't need a numberplate bracket thingy.

If I was not riding mine on the road I would get the 250 mudguard