Author Topic: What is this in my oil???  (Read 2456 times)

Offline fredodido

What is this in my oil???
« on: August 12, 2009, 03:11:40 AM »
hello ,

well i have just finished rebuilding top and buttom end of my 94, 500. it runs like a charm, no funny noises, all gear works smooth, and lots of power...

my ? is that after my first 45 min. of riding i drained the gear box (clutch) oil, atf type f. and i found the oil being full of fine grey stuff, like metal dust or something. i did put the old clutch in since in and some life left in it, and might have change the order the plates where put in before... but starting with a friction one and ending with one...

so since evrything is going so well with the bike and that i can't ear anything that sounds like grinding, ???? I'm puzzled.

can anyone help me out here :?

thanks a lot :-D

Offline 500freak

Re: What is this in my oil???
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:59:30 AM »
check the clutch basket nut if is loose it will rub the case. my bros kx250 did that. also ive seen loose nuts on the crank do that too. not saying thats what it is but ive seen those problems cause that.
87 k5 Pc pipe,v-f3,pwk....SOLD!!
87 k5 stage 3 port,torque spacer 39.5mm carb,gnarly pipe,vf reeds,uni filter,bored 86.5
99 banshee 421 stroker beast!!!
75 dt400 all stock SOLD!
85 kx125 stock

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 06:15:08 AM »
The metel plates are aluminum and they contaminate the oil as they wear.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 08:05:34 AM »
The metel plates are aluminum and they contaminate the oil as they wear.

That's why I change my oil on a frequent basis.  It's less than a quart, changing it is cheap motor insurance.  If most of the riding I do is by my self I change the oil every 4 hours on the hour meter.  If I'm with a group and in the dust or dirty conditions I change every 2 or 3 hours.  If it's real bad, after each ride.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:10:19 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline toomany

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:13:53 AM »
My oil looks like that each time I drain it. I don't abuse the clutch, but I know how to use it when I have to. I plan on putting new plates in this winter. Even though it's not slipping and isn't grabby or notchy. I use ATF and change before every ride. It's usually only in the bike for 3-4 hours of run time.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:53:26 AM »
Steel drive plates are a must have in the clutch.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »
 Mine looks that way every time I change oil. Thats why I change it every week and why I use ATF that I get for free.  I am pretty sure it is caused by the aluminum plates for the clutch. Have never had any problems with it, I bought the bike new and have put over three hundred gallons of fuel through it. I dont plan to change to steel plates either.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.