Author Topic: Head Gasket  (Read 2666 times)

Offline vaaprider

• He's Ready
Head Gasket
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:01:33 AM »
The head gasket that came off the bike was all metal.  The new one that came with a kit only has a metal ring the rest is synthetic.  Should I chuck the new gasket and get an all metal one like what was on it?

Offline BDI

Re: Head Gasket
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:43:51 AM »
yes the fiber gaskets are bad news. They like to blow in the area of the head stay. The thick fiber gasket allows the head to flex and will lead to head gasket failer.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline vaaprider

• He's Ready
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 12:18:57 PM »
Thanks, that is what I figured.

Offline kxraptor

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:02:19 AM »
yep,sadly i just found this out too

Offline edgar_kx3

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 05:25:29 AM »
hey i have a question my 500 is 80 over, and iam having problems getting a 80 over head gasket, i put a metal one on it that was for stock and it blowed it just in a couple rides!! any advice??

Offline Jopiz

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:48:07 AM »
Check cylinder head if it has warped. Re-torque cylinder head nuts too to correct spec. Maybe they have loosened during riding?

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:11:47 AM »
hey i have a question my 500 is 80 over, and iam having problems getting a 80 over head gasket, i put a metal one on it that was for stock and it blowed it just in a couple rides!! any advice??
Did you have your cylinder decked  :? If you did then the head will not seal anymore. You can't do one or the other or it will leak you have to do them both. You should have lapped the head and cylinder to make them flat. that's the one thing about running the meteal gasket you need to make sure your head and jug are flat. You can get over size head gaskets from them A-HOLES at cometic. Love the gaskets hate the people.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!