Author Topic: Tips please  (Read 6263 times)

Offline kx250.1698

Tips please
« on: August 02, 2009, 03:45:25 AM »
Hi guys i have received my sprocket shaft  and was wondering should I install it myself.i am good with bikes and with my hands just haven't striped a motor before.Is there a trick or something i should know when i strip the motor or what?

Thanks

Offline BDI

Re: Tips please
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:17:15 AM »
The best trick you can use is a manual and the right tools. :-D
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 07:02:26 AM »

What if you don't have a manual and the right tool?

Offline dangerous dean

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 12:07:17 PM »
you will def. need at least a diagram to show you which way the gears go on the shaft as well as where the shims are,as for tools if you can take it apart ok then it should go back together ok without the need for special tools etc.

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 01:45:28 PM »
you will def. need at least a diagram to show you which way the gears go on the shaft as well as where the shims are,as for tools if you can take it apart ok then it should go back together ok without the need for special tools etc.

Just a diagram and no special tools needed :? well hell it should ba a snap then.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 02:19:33 PM »
Hi guys i have received my sprocket shaft  and was wondering should I install it myself.i am good with bikes and with my hands just haven't striped a motor before.Is there a trick or something i should know when i strip the motor or what?

Thanks

I think you need to take it to the shop or a mechanic that has the special tools and the correct shop manual that will be needed.
KX 500 Rider

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 02:29:26 PM »

What if you don't have a manual and the right tool?
    I would buy them. My dad always told me that anything worth doing is worth doing right and if you do it right the first time you don't have to do it again. You are going to need a flywheel puller, a puller for separating the cases, a clutch hub holding tool, a flywheel holding tool, a tool to wedge the crank and you are going to have to build a wood box to support the engine on while you do the work. A hydraulic press is a must have. You are going to be playing with some very expensive parts, any one of which could cost as much as the tools you need if you screw it up trying to do it the wrong way. For example a clutch basket could cost as much as $300.00 if you break it trying to get buy with out the $30.00 clutch holding tool or the $400.00 flywheel if you bend it trying to pull it with a claw style puller rather then the $15.00 dollar puller thats made for it. You know whats really cool is when the claw puller pops off of the flywheel and breaks a big piece out of your $500.00 cases. You are also going to need all of the torque specs, those can be found in the manual. Nothing will ruin your day faster then your flywheel coming loose and tearing up the end of your $500.00 crank. That is $500.00 + $400.00 because it also screws up your flywheel. You can't forget the famous over tightening of the clutch spring retaining bolt that breaks the post off of the $100.00 clutch hub. Fun Fun Fun, You will be singing the happy happy joy joy song for sure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABWyXKT5qt4
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:48:58 PM by BDI »

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 02:49:22 PM »
BDI said it all.  The days of fixing a bike with a screwdriver and a Crescent wrench ended about 1923.
KX 500 Rider

stewart

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orO-_n0NlmA  this will be your story

stewart

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 03:02:41 PM »
with the right tools this can be your story  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoBq_2e5xUc

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 12:35:46 AM »
Hi, okay thanks guys sounds like 2 much trouble.Will rather save some money and pay some one.before it will cost me more to fix it if i brake stuff.

But thanks

Offline jinxy

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 01:01:14 AM »
give it a go its not as bad as it looks
when you get to splitting the centre cases
just make shure the gear box stays in one side of the cases
and fall out on the floor
j

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 01:44:55 AM »
give it a go its not as bad as it looks
when you get to splitting the centre cases
just make shure the gear box stays in one side of the cases
and fall out on the floor
j

Oke wil look at some videos and wil think about it.But thanks guys

Offline kxracer

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 07:56:04 AM »
just in the process of putting my 87 KX 250 back together, it needs patience, a manual, some mechanical dexterity, a good friend who is mechanically good to make you pause before you do a mad thing. The difficult tasks just require you to think about things a little

I am doing it so I know what to do in the future.

I made all the tools for pulling apart and pulling together using steel bars, 2 inch steel tube and threaded rod. Getting the crank in, requires a freezer and a partner who does not mind you using the oven for half an hour.

I can email you the pics of the pulling tools I made. I would buy the clymer manual before you start. It will be the best $30 you spend.

Once it is all done, I will setup a website. Look up Rocky Mountain ATV on you tube, it shows you the basics.

The other option is to pay the local dealer to do it but arrange so you can assist and observe.

Anyway, that is my view, good luck.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 11:44:23 AM »
I and I'm sure we, would like to see the tool pictures, post 'em up please.
KX 500 Rider