Author Topic: high idle/borderline screaming 01 kx125  (Read 6179 times)

Offline kxkowboy

high idle/borderline screaming 01 kx125
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:07:23 AM »
Kick over the bike and it is idling very high. Idle screw does nothing. Slide is all the way down. Air screw all the way in slows it down to a relatively decent idle. Replaced the boot between the reeds/engine and carburetor. Cleaned carb out.

Would anything else have anything to do with that such as reeds or piston rings??

Last season I did leave the carb in a parts cleaner paint can deal and am not sure that I took all the rubber washer/seals out. I took off the bowl and floats and plastic piece in the bowl and the float needle, but am not sure if any of that (if something other than that disolved in the parts cleaner) would have anything to do with high idle.

I could try to drop the needle down but I think its only 1 place away from being all the way down and when i purchased it, it was all the way up. Even if that did work, it seems like it would be a bandaid and eventually stop working.

I think i either have a vacuum leak (but have no idea where) or am getting too much gas which is causing it to suck more air but dont know how.

It ran just fine when i put it away for the winter and now this summer it is doing this?????

I have previously had a problem where i would be riding high on the throttle and let the throttle down to slow down, the rpm would stay high, screaming high, moving the throttle back/forth did nothing, swaying the bike side to side did nothing. I had to shut it down and eventually it would start up not screaming (after 2/3 attempts kicking it over to screaming rpms). Replaced the throttle cable, but it came back eventually. Cleaned the carb, replaced the slide spring, seemed to go away, havent had it happen again. Not sure if this is related to my problem now.

Offline BDI

Re: high idle/borderline screaming 01 kx125
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:23:46 AM »
Have you checked the crank seals and base gasket :?
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 04:48:20 AM »
Maybe you are running out of gas. Clogged petcock, crimped line, float level set to low, tank not venting. Or air leak, like bdi pointed out.

Offline azdirtrider75

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 10:29:43 AM »
Be sure to check your reed valves too.
Live in the Phoenix Metro? (East Valley) Contact me, let's ride
azdirtrider75
nateopie@hotmail.com

Offline richardcranium

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 12:19:15 PM »
Hello, I don't know if you have fixed your problem yet but here are some suggestions. When you get a high idle situation such as yours it usually means a lean condition. A lean condition could be caused by several things.

The first would be to check the intak boot for seal, second check the base gasket for seal , and third check the crank seals. This is easy to do with WD40 and will not hurt the engine. You can use starting fluid but this could cause some detonation within the cylinder causing even more problems. If you have the engine running squirt the wd around the carb intake boot or the base gasket or crank seal on the stator side. If you notice a change in engine RPM when you squirt these locations you have found the problem. Only squirt one area at a time so that you will be able to ascertain which is the culprit.

Hope this helps.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
  You may also pay particular attention where the throttle cable enters the top of the carb.
 Awhile back there was a rash of stuck throttles due to the sheathing on the cable hanging up in the cap on the carb.   
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"