Author Topic: KX 500 for beginners?  (Read 11576 times)

Offline fishes

KX 500 for beginners?
« on: July 28, 2009, 05:35:25 PM »
Hi,
I'm considering buying a 2003 KX 500 mainly because it's a great deal.  I have essentially no experience as a trail rider and would only use this bike for that purpose.  A friend advised me that this bike is likely not a good candidate for amateur riders.  I was just hoping that I could get a few other opinions on the matter.  I'm 24 years old, 6'4" and 200 lbs. and am just wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether or not I'd be able to handle the bike.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: KX 500 for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:34:43 PM »
welcome !
i,d say get the 03k5 ,since its a good deal ,these bikes become rare ,
if you have it ,and if its a joy to ride you can still prep it esp for trailriding.

yes its no beginners bike ,but you are 200 lbs ,6.4 ,so i figure your posture is good for k5
and its all in the wrist to begin with .

and for 200 % the kx500 is never going to be boring.
succes
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline AV8

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:49:37 AM »
I am a newbie to big bore bikes, have not been on a bike since the 70's, 53 years old and 230 lbs, read, old inexperienced and over weight.  I am having a blast but I a able to hold back and not get too excited and over twist the jesus I am coming grip. I say go for it as I did and grow into it as I am. The best part is trying to get my friends who consider themselves good riders to go for a ride. Most in my group will not even try the 5.

Offline KX5

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 01:09:18 AM »
When I was 14 years old my first bike was a 1984 IT 490...no lie, my dad told me it would teach me how to respect the throttle.  Looking back I dont know what the hell he was thinking because he wouldn't let me play football because he said I would get hurt...go figure.  Anyway I worked on that beast more then I rode it and I did get hurt on it too, when I was 20 or so I destroyed my left knee.  Now I'm 25 and I have an 03' KX 500 and I couldn't be more happy with it.  So it's up to you really I would say go for it but just don't get too comfortable on it and forget what it is.  Good Luck 8-)

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 01:52:26 AM »
It very could stunt your riding growth.  You don't have to worry about your physical growth though!!! :-D

For beginners, I would say a buck and a quarter (125) just until you can man-handle it and give it the spanking it deserves.  Once you're bored on the 125 which should be a year or so, then jump straight to the mighty K5.

I only say that because you will have constant arm pump if you're afraid of it and riding won't be fun- it could stunt your riding growth and make learning slower.  You will not get good as quickly.  However, if you stick with it with determination or dilligence, you will be able to handle it eventually, just be careful. :wink:

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 02:12:30 AM »
Any bike can HURT you.  The penalty for failure on a K5 can be DEATH. 
But you only live once so GO FOR IT!!!
When you do something stupid on a K5 and it's a close call. 
Stop and think about this picture.
I consider myself a fair rider back when I got hurt.  It was late 2004, I was 47.  I have owned and ridden some sort of bike since I was 14 years old.  I did this at low speed, just gave it to much gas.
Have fun but yes, be careful.  13 months off work, still dealing with the injury.
KX 500 Rider

Offline KX5

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 02:19:44 AM »
Any bike can HURT you.  The penalty for failure on a K5 can be DEATH. 
But you only live once so GO FOR IT!!!
When you do something stupid on a K5 and it's a close call. 
Stop and think about this picture.
I consider myself a fair rider back when I got hurt.  It was late 2004, I was 47.  I have owned and ridden some sort of bike since I was 14 years old.  I did this at low speed, just gave it to much gas.
Have fun but yes, be careful.  13 months off work, still dealing with the injury.
Yessir thats what happened to me, and it was at low speed too, 2nd gear wheelie.  My cousin has an 04 KX 500 and he almost lost his leg at low speed. He did a wheelie and got hung up and it twisted his leg behind him.  That was 4 months ago and he is still in bad shape and needs more surgery. I'm going to invest in some POD mx braces. They are expensive but I don't want to go through that again if I can help it.  I'm still not 100% and I don't think I ever will be

Offline oic0

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 02:22:47 AM »
I am a complete noob and my KX500 is my first bike. I posted how I've done sofar on mine on a different forum. You can read it if you like. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808775 Zero wrecks so far but a lot of trenches and one or two near misses (slid out on sand in a trail)

My experience sofar as a noob on trails has been that it is a very easy bike to ride slow or at a moderate pace, but darn near impossible for me to ride at a fast pace in the woods. It just isn't agile enough. Lots of power, not so much agility. If you are willing to accept those compromises then go for it.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:26:47 AM by oic0 »
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Atrain

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 08:21:11 AM »
I also bought a KX500 for a first bike because of a really good deal. I'm 6'4" and 195lbs. I agree with oic0's comments, totally ridable but you need to be easy on the throttle and plan ahead. I ride trails and woods and I've been having fun but it takes some getting used to, just take it slow.

I also wanted to add that I feel having a great tune, and predictable throttle, is critical on this bike. My KX5 ran like crap when I got it, sputtering on the low end - then warp speed, I can't imagine the problems it would have caused on the trail. With a few carb adjustments it runs perfect and I know how power is going to be delivered.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:46:54 AM by Atrain »

Offline k5for-life

• its not what you ride its that you ride thats all
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 08:33:52 AM »
the first time o rode my k5 i raced it i remember my eyes being glued to the back of my skull! the k5 is the fastest and most powerful dirtbike made so please be very careful i have been fliped over the bars and had my k5 land on me, remember its way to easy to go way to fast on a k5
in thee begining man become of the dirt and in thee end he shall return to the dirt in the mean time we shall give him a kx500 and the dirt shall be his play ground

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »
I also bought a KX500 for a first bike because of a really good deal. I'm 6'4" and 195lbs. I agree with oic0's comments, totally ridable but you need to be easy on the throttle and plan ahead. I ride trails and woods and I've been having fun but it takes some getting used to, just take it slow.

I also wanted to add that I feel having a great tune, and predictable throttle, is critical on this bike. My KX5 ran like crap when I got it, sputtering on the low end - then warp speed, I can't imagine the problems it would have caused on the trail. With a few carb adjustments it runs perfect and I know how power is going to be delivered.

Great advice Atrain. I thought that the 250 I bought was too much at first. It still has alot of power and would be a dangerous starter bike. Danger is the element that gets the adrenaline going. If it was as as safe as a scooter you would still have time to contemplate finances and worry about your career, or relationships. Not on a dirtbike that's rippin'. All you can concentrate on is what's ahead of you. After riding, you realize that for the entire afternoon, you were able to actually get away from it all. The 500 is kinda like taking a Funny Car to the Supermarket. Lots of power there to tap into. You just have to get there gradually, so you don't wreck your bike and your confidence. Or as Good calls it, your "Riding Growth"

A hard crash will sometimes really slow down the learning and cause you to be more dangerous by freaking out in a tight spot. My advice is to rest everytime your arms and hands get too tired to work the clutch well. Trying to ride past the point of exhausted arms is definately a sure way to eat it.

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 06:21:00 AM »
Seriously.... do as he says about stopping and taking lotsa breaks on the trail when you are just starting out with a K5.

The vibration is strong... and the clutch-pull is kinda strong too.  Fatigue leads to mistakes... Mistakes lead to Crashes.

If you have absolutely NO experience on dirt... then NO... you should NOT start out life on a KX 500.  Plain and Simple.

It's the equivalent of a brand new rider on the street thinking they can go buy a 600cc in-line 4cyl sport-bike thinking they can handle it.... they'll just go slow.  The "just go slow" part doesn't happen man.  That power and rush is more addictive then anything on this earth.  It'll tempt you, and you'll end-up "riding over your head" (meaning: riding faster than your current experience and abilities truly knows how to handle) and then something bad will happen.

Start with the smaller bikes first.  Don't be in a rush.  The smaller bikes will teach you clutch finesse. Clutch finesse is something you VERY much need on a KX 500.  Especially for trail-riding.

That being said... if it is a good price... buy it anyway for now, so that you'll have her when you're ready.

I'm just saying... don't try to Run before you even know how to Crawl.
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »
My first street bike was a 92 ZX11.  The MSF instructor said I would be dead in a year.   That same year he was almost dead in the hospital from crashing his Z1 dragbike at the strip.  Bars through his chest.    I learned throttle control with the 11.   Used to ride with a lot of kids on 600's, 750's.  I was usually out front away from the chaos.   Many of them crashed and lost their interest in sportbikes.   I already had a lot of dirtbike experience when I got a street bike.  Have had three 11's, a 6, a 9 and a 10 and 12 for Ninjas.   Had all sorts of 80's and 125's as a kid.  No dirtbike for about 8 years then got an 01 KX250.   Then a KX500.  A KDX200, then another 250, another 500, then an 06 450,   Kept adding to the collection.
If you ride a lot of different bikes you as a rider learn to adapt and to work on your skills.   When I get to ride, which is not often enough anymore.  Most that go with me are KTM and Yamaha guys.  Rarely see any Kaws out here.   I'd say 80% of the crashes I see are people just pinning their 4 strokes WOT and not being able to handle it for the terrain.  So it wouldn't matter if they were on a KX500 or their own bike.  Its discipline and control.    I rarely get over 50% throttle on the 500.  Don't need to.  Ride it like a 4 stroke and just navigate.     One thing to note.  Have heard so many stories of people breaking legs and ankles on 500's just starting them.   Turn the gas on, tilt the bike to the left side till gas runs out.  Stand it up, put it in 2nd gear and rock the bike back and forth.     It usually will fire on the first kick.
Works on my KX250 too.  Especially when its cold out.   Course the KDX200 starts on the first or second kick regardless with no method involved.  Got to love that bike.

Offline barryadam

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 11:22:50 AM »
Course the KDX200 starts on the first or second kick regardless with no method involved.  Got to love that bike.

+1
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline oic0

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 06:58:41 AM »
It may depend on personality type but I personally think I would get in to more trouble on a 125. I would be more tempted to throw it around and jump it. The big ol 500 says "just you try, I'll make you pay". Like I said though, I think it will inhibit my learning :(
IMO the KX500 is like starting off on the street on a V-Max. If you tried to work and get crazy on it, it would be more than happy to kill you. Other than the straight aways though... your instincts tell you not to even try. Definitely not a confidence inspiring bike.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 07:04:11 AM by oic0 »
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)