Author Topic: Clarke fuel tank fitment problems.  (Read 8341 times)

Offline kxpegger

Clarke fuel tank fitment problems.
« on: December 17, 2008, 02:33:26 AM »
My 3.1 gallon Clarke tank had a few issues and I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience. I ordered the tank for my Service Honda KX500AF.

1. The fuel filter mounting holes on the tank were not in alignment with the OEM filter bung mounting holes. I had to take a half round jewelers file and elongate the holes to be able to start the bolts.

2. The top tank shroud bolt holes weren't spaced correctly either and I had to use every bit of adjustment in the shroud mounting holes and then bend the shrouds to get the bolt holes to line up. They were off center by at least 3/8 of an inch. I could have wallowed out the shroud holes too but at this point decided if nothing else was going to fit correctly the tank was going back.

3. Although not a huge annoyance the tank had some molding flash and debris inside. Soap and water and a few flushes got it out.

I haven't actually put the tank on yet so I'm hoping the rest goes ok.

Do I just expect too much?  :?
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Clarke fuel tank fitment problems.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 02:44:14 AM »
 I have experienced this kinda thing with after-market stuff. My purple shrouds needed holes elongated, my subframe didn't line-up well, and it came with elongated holes, so now is hard to keep tight enough not to rattle.
  Also bought a clarke tank, but stock size. The green had some darker and lighter patches, which raised my eyebrows to say the least. I also had plastic and crap in the tank that obviously needed flushed. I then had a little trouble with the petcock sealing. All of that being said, I believe alot of things are a hassle while you are in the middle of working on it, but when its over, you forget about how big a pain it was. I had almost totally forgot about those issues until reading your thread. The beast needs fuel! :evil:

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:34:03 AM »
Its not just you. When I order something that I REALLY need it's always broke or the wrong part.  :-(
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 04:37:11 AM »
I forgot to ask. Does the tank interfere with the sparkplug on the AF or is the floor of the tank in the stock location?
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:45:56 AM »
I forgot to ask. Does the tank interfere with the sparkplug on the AF or is the floor of the tank in the stock location?

I'll let you know tonight when I install it. Service Honda uses the shorty plug so if there's a clearance problem not sure what I'll do.
North Las Vegas

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 04:19:22 AM »

Well I finally got around to putting the Clarke tank on. Been on standby lately from work so I get caught up on things around the garage because I can't ride.

There's actually more spark plug clearance on the Clarke tank because of the shape of the well and that it sits up higher in the tank. The fuel filter points off at a slightly different angle and I'll have to remove about a half inch of fuel line to the petcock but other than that the tank to frame is a good fit. I'm going to replace the cheap rubber grommet that Clarke provides for top tank mount with something more substantial. I'm going to try and find a teflon grommet or something similar that will have more wear resistance and longevity.

The only real fitment problem I had was the bolt hole spacing for the fuel filter on the tank was to close together and I couldn't get the bolts started. I had to enlongate the fuel filter mount holes with a half round jewelers file until the bolts would start.

North Las Vegas

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 04:39:25 AM »
Thas good news!  I had assumed that you would be doing some plastic wleding to get it to fit. Cam.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »
Let us know what you find for the mounting grommet. I have the cheap rubber grommet on my KX250 Clarke tank and would like to change it.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline jrhockey03

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 08:28:09 AM »
I'd like to see the tank on the bike just for fitment purposes.

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 12:16:13 PM »

Well I finally got around to putting the Clarke tank on. Been on standby lately from work so I get caught up on things around the garage because I can't ride.

There's actually more spark plug clearance on the Clarke tank because of the shape of the well and that it sits up higher in the tank. The fuel filter points off at a slightly different angle and I'll have to remove about a half inch of fuel line to the petcock but other than that the tank to frame is a good fit. I'm going to replace the cheap rubber grommet that Clarke provides for top tank mount with something more substantial. I'm going to try and find a teflon grommet or something similar that will have more wear resistance and longevity.

The only real fitment problem I had was the bolt hole spacing for the fuel filter on the tank was to close together and I couldn't get the bolts started. I had to enlongate the fuel filter mount holes with a half round jewelers file until the bolts would start.

I appoligize for taking so long to get back on this one!

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/peteegger/?action=view&current=Clarke500AFTank001.jpg

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/peteegger/?action=view&current=Clarke500AFTank002.jpg

I substituted the cheap rubber grommet that was already starting to split with a hard but still pliable washer thingy I found in the plumbing hardware section at ACE. Took a little trimming with a dremel to fit the mounting hole on the Clarke mount. I've got about 8 rides on her now and no looseness or signs that it's coming apart or going to crack.

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/peteegger/?action=view&current=Clarke500AFTank003.jpg

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/peteegger/?action=view&current=Clarke500AFTank004.jpg

More spark plug clearance with the Clarke than the OEM tank. I can pull the boot off with no interference now!

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/peteegger/?action=view&current=Clarke500AFTank005.jpg

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/peteegger/?action=view&current=Clarke500AFTank006.jpg

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/peteegger/?action=view&current=Clarke500AFTank007.jpg

Hope this helps in your decision.
North Las Vegas

Offline jrhockey03

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 06:03:25 PM »
Thanks a lot. I now know what tank I'm getting when I build my AF this summer.

Offline cr37

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 06:05:23 AM »
Has anyone tried a IMS tank?

Offline kxpegger

North Las Vegas

Offline muleman

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 12:18:31 PM »
I have a 95 kx500. with a clarke 3.9 tall tank. The black finish sucks (i had to buff it ) and I had to file the filter/shut off hole to fit . BIG P>O>S>