Author Topic: Lowering & stiffening rear shock and fork  (Read 1669 times)

Offline kx5rider

Lowering & stiffening rear shock and fork
« on: July 10, 2009, 10:19:06 AM »
I have a spare '93 kx500 and have really been toying with the idea of doing a supersingle roadrace machine out of it like what Roland Sands has been doing with the 450's.
What all would be involved with cutting about 2 inches out of the fork & shock? I'm not looking to do dog bones and slide the fork, I wanna actually take travel out of it and get it much stiffer.
Any help would be much appreciated!!!!
braaaaaaaaap

Motorrad

Re: Lowering & stiffening rear shock and fork
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:51:53 AM »
Precision concepts has shortened a few shocks for me. Give them a call I'm sure they could help you out. As for doing it yourself. No idea. I know they had to mess with all the valving due to being shorter.   

Offline toomany

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:04:51 PM »
I bought a chassis from a guy that had it setup for ice racing. He used spacers inside the forks to lower them down. Not sure where in the assembly...but he told me if I was going to run them to take the spacers out.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:40:45 AM »
IMO suspension should be left to a reputable builder.  Once you have a "well tuned" suspension, that will be one of the first mods you do to every bike you own. (present/future)

I would look into a company that would do a Supermoto style suspension for you.  As, that is what it seems you are looking for.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.