Author Topic: Front Axle... Nut? How to remove the dang thing!  (Read 2840 times)

Offline TheGDog

Front Axle... Nut? How to remove the dang thing!
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:56:24 PM »
Maybe it's just been a long time, but I can't remember having another dirt bike that had this particular nut-thing on the front axle.  I tried holding the other end of the axle with an adjustable-end wrench... and simultaneously having a wrench on this one... I first attempted to turn it counter-clockwise. Felt like I was gonna jack-up the corners of the nut, (not to mention rip my finger bones thru my flesh)... then attempted with less force to turn the other way, no go.

I was merely going to change the front tire, and wanted the axle outta there.  After encountering this issue... I hand-rotated the axle and the quality of the feel of the rotation makes me think the bearings in that front hub are either shot, or at the very least way too cranked-down on.

Which direction do I turn turn this Nut thing here in order to remove it?  And what are the Torque specs when I need to tighten it down again?

Also... who makes a good replacement set of bearings for the front hub?  Should I just order some from Kawi or are there better ones to be had?

'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Front Axle... Nut? How to remove the dang thing!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:14:12 PM »
It has the normal direction of threads. I use the clamp on the end of the fork to hold the axel. Just loosen the other side. Leave the nut in the clamp. Front wheel bearings don't fail very often, so its a long time between removal sometimes. I would just check that the ones you get come with new seals.