Author Topic: carb holder(boot)  (Read 2396 times)

Offline no sub for cubes

carb holder(boot)
« on: June 26, 2009, 02:13:36 AM »
hi does anybody know if the carb holder off an 89 onwards will fit an 88 kx500?mines perished badly,the 88 holders been discontinued and looking on line from 89 onwards its a diff part no.

thanks

Offline DoldGuy

Re: carb holder(boot)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 06:48:31 AM »
No Sub,
I don't know about the 89 onward fitting on the 88 model, but know the Rad Valve for the K5 (#13) fits the 87-04 model (Hillclimb #42 has one for sale) and would eliminate the need for the stock "Rubber Boot". I would also think the 89 onward would fit as the bolt pattern would need to be the same for the Rad Valve to fit but might have a different length & I.D. for a different style Carb as the 89 & onward came with a PWK.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 07:06:17 AM »
Gone to KXT500, "Wheelie Trike". He's putting a 500 on a 3-wheeler. :-P  That Boysen had a nice polished intake, but, I'm guessin' it would cause the same problem with fitment as the later model rubber. It mounted up to the stock air box and Kehin on my 97. Better off looking on for stock boot and using v-force reeds. Post in wanted, someone on here has one or two boots, I bet.

Offline dave916

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 07:19:32 AM »
 yeah they are the same . i have three carb boots and all three are perished. i think examine around the carb end (hose clip)area, if that ok it might do for a while longer  , i was thinking of getting a rad valve rather than buying the boot         did u see anything wrong in the motor?

Offline no sub for cubes

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »
cheers guys

i made a leak tester and when i put air in the motor my carb boot was leaking,the cylinder its self had a leak from the actual cylinder wall looks like a crack behind the sleeve from the inside  :-o and the ouside does look porus in places,and also the right crank seal was leaking,motors in bits still now,just got new crank seals and will install them today with maybe using a little case sealant to help them seal?
I have another cylinder but i need to get it replated,i think i will invest in a new carb boot to eliminate any leaks there,gonna take the chance and buy new as you guys say the bolts should line up the same,only diff i can see is maybe the little rubber lip that the carb slides into,should be able to modify that.eventually i wanna get a vforce cage cos everbody seems to favor that to the boyeson.

thanks for the help guys

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 11:41:28 PM »
Jfab this is your calling,  I think there is more of a demand for the aluminum Intake Manifold than you thought possible.   :wink:

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.