Author Topic: KX500 Quad!  (Read 8472 times)

Offline KX5Zuki

KX500 Quad!
« on: June 26, 2009, 01:21:08 AM »
Not sure if this will spark any interest, but I am building a drag quad with a '86 KX5 motor on Alky and n2o. Heres a couple pics of the frame progress. If any one out there has pics of some nice looking KX5 quads, post em up! Or even trikes, I like the Tecate 3. Oh, and by the way, this is '08 KFX450R Plastics, the new race quad. I am shooting for under 200 lbs. for the complete quad.

Offline RoostDaddy

Re: KX500 Quad!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 09:24:31 AM »
At one time there were some guys putting K5 motors in Tecate chassis'.   If you do a web search for KX500 Tecate, I'm sure you could get some ideas.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline tobys 2 strokes

• My #2 son
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:56:19 AM »
Here's a link to a article about the Tecate get together we just had.
it has a pic of my K5 T3 then the Video attacted has my K5 T4 with my 17 yr old

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/kawasaki-2009-tecate-fest-kxf-250-atv-winchester-bay.html

Thats a cool looking project it would be nice to see a all out dragger powered by somthing besides a Yamaha.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:00:07 AM by tobys 2 strokes »

Offline KX5Zuki

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 01:13:29 PM »
Heres a couple more pics. There wont be an update for a little while, I gotta do all the final welding on the frame. Then it will be time for some suspension!

Offline KX5Zuki

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:44:20 AM »
Apartment life sucks, I was at the shop today, doing alot of the final welding on the frame. I am gonna be going to the parents house this weekend, where all my other quads and bikes are, and I am going to bring my drag frame down there. But since I am in an apartment, I refuse to leave all the parts in the bed of my truck out in the parking lot, so I hauled them all up stairs, and since it all laying here, I decided to put it together! HAHA. So heres a better shot of the quad, for those of you interested. Thanks dnmac1999 for the pipe, its perfect and fits like a glove! Also, I know the front of the seat sticks up some, I am going to be flattening it out, trying to keep it all low and at least "look" fast!

Offline demographic

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 11:45:17 PM »
Coming along well.

The only KX 500 quad I have seen other than in pictures was this one that was at a local road hillclimb sprint.
Pretty sure the kid was the riders son :-D

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 02:28:35 AM »
Thats a cool looking project it would be nice to see a all out dragger powered by somthing besides a Yamaha.

Unfortunately, that's because guys are pulling almost 200hp out of the Banshee twins (and triples), whereas the KX5 is limited to around 104 at the crank...

This quad would be king of the desert and be fun for all day riding.  Nothing that is rideable for any length of time could keep up with you, but this bike wouldn't stand a chance against the Unlimited Banshees in a drag situation, and they would make you run in the Unlimited class at the sand drags here.

If anything, I'd like to swap a Kawi Triple with custom pipes into a drag chassis like yours or get a monster snow mobile engine and swap that in for all out drags (to get away from the Yammaha theme).  But just for duning, a Stewart motor in that quad will keep a smile on your face for years!  (I've thought and thought about this possibility for the wife  :-D :mrgreen:)  400EX, powered by KX500 would be sick...

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 12:55:40 PM »
That drag quad is looking good.  I've been thinking pretty seriously about powering my Banshee with a KX500 engine.  My Banshee engine needs a new top end as well as a transmission, so I'm thinking, why not?  I just missed a KX500 dirtbike on Craigslist the other day for $550.  The guy had it at $1000 for awhile and the day he dropped the price, I missed it by 2 hours.

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »
If you can get that thing under 200 lbs that will be very amazing. Very cool project can't wait to see it done.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline jadleybray

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 10:37:34 AM »
Anything ever come of this project?

Offline cobbs

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 12:25:29 PM »
I'm with BDI that's going to be very very hard to get that thing under 200lbs the bike weight is 220 and your adding 2 more wheels and tires an axle and a arms even using high strength thin wall chromoly tubing you would have an almost impossible task of getting under 200lbs just my opinion but good luck!