Author Topic: Smoking a lot?  (Read 7433 times)

Offline kx250.1698

Smoking a lot?
« on: June 18, 2009, 03:37:26 AM »
Hi guys n use about 40ml 2stroke on 1 liter petrol after a few hard drives on the track and the bike is killed the smoke still comes out of the pipe? could it be crank seals because the piston looks like new?I am going to test compression 2 tomorrow?

Thanks

Offline Jopiz

Re: Smoking a lot?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 04:08:28 AM »
Sounds like an electrical problem to me. If the spark is weak our stator could be close to failure. I recommend you to buy a clymer manual and check your stator with an ohm meter. Also weak spark could refer to a bad igniton coil. Can you borrow an ignition coil from your friend or something? I am currently having same kind of symptoms. Replacing the ignition coil gave me a more visible spark. Blue and fat is good. Do you foul plugs every time the bike dies?

-Jopizz

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 05:00:53 AM »
Hi guys n use about 40ml 2stroke on 1 liter petrol after a few hard drives on the track and the bike is killed the smoke still comes out of the pipe? could it be crank seals because the piston looks like new?I am going to test compression 2 tomorrow?

Thanks

Unless my math is wrong, you are running it 25:1 with the metric numbers that you gave. At 25:1 it should be a mosquito fogger.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 05:13:02 AM »
Sounds like an electrical problem to me. If the spark is weak our stator could be close to failure. I recommend you to buy a clymer manual and check your stator with an ohm meter. Also weak spark could refer to a bad igniton coil. Can you borrow an ignition coil from your friend or something? I am currently having same kind of symptoms. Replacing the ignition coil gave me a more visible spark. Blue and fat is good. Do you foul plugs every time the bike dies?

-Jopizz

no the bike don't foul plugs, but 1ste gear is kind of weak , when you pin the throttel it gow's that can maby be jetting but wories me the least, the bike shop told me a can skrew the coil out and put a small wire in and hold it in my hand and still no spark, but plug was still in bike so couldnt kick it fast because of compression.

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 05:15:12 AM »

Thanks

Unless my math is wrong, you are running it 25:1 with the metric numbers that you gave. At 25:1 it should be a mosquito fogger.

sorry what do you mean by "mosquito fogger"

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 05:24:12 AM »
Too much oil. Mix it the way the manual says. Closer to 32:1 maybe even 50:1.

"Mosquito fogger" sorry wrong generation!  :roll:
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline Jopiz

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:00:49 AM »
Despite the compression you should be able to kick it enough to get a good spark. It really needs only one to two revolutions to generate a spark. Trust me, you will be surprised how much better the spark is when you try an another coil. Nearly any ignition coil will do the trick. Try it. Just swap coil from another bike and try somehow to get a spark.

I wouldn't recommed using any wires or something to test the spark. If the high voltage backfires it will damage the CDI and the coil too. In my bike the sparkplug cap somehow loosened ( no contact). The high voltage went back right through and destroyed the coil and the CDI. Just one kick was enough to destroy the capacitors and other components.

I would recommend riding 1:32 mixture. Unless you ride WOT all the time you really dont need that 25:1 mixture.

-Jopizz

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 06:07:26 AM »
Too much oil. Mix it the way the manual says. Closer to 32:1 maybe even 50:1.

"Mosquito fogger" sorry wrong generation!  :roll:

Oke thanks what can 2 much oil do, can it be that the bike sufferd to get way and sounds like it wants to die because when i used a bit less power was back?

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 06:09:40 AM »
Despite the compression you should be able to kick it enough to get a good spark. It really needs only one to two revolutions to generate a spark. Trust me, you will be surprised how much better the spark is when you try an another coil. Nearly any ignition coil will do the trick. Try it. Just swap coil from another bike and try somehow to get a spark.

I wouldn't recommed using any wires or something to test the spark. If the high voltage backfires it will damage the CDI and the coil too. In my bike the sparkplug cap somehow loosened ( no contact). The high voltage went back right through and destroyed the coil and the CDI. Just one kick was enough to destroy the capacitors and other components.

I would recommend riding 1:32 mixture. Unless you ride WOT all the time you really dont need that 25:1 mixture.

-Jopizz

oke but should i use the coil ignition( the black boxi thing that coil comes from not the cdi) 2 or just the wire that you use for spark plug?Can i maby use my 89 kx 250 coil?

Offline Jopiz

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 06:25:07 AM »
You should be able to use the coil from your 250. You can swap the whole thing. That black thing with the sparkplug wire + the spark plug cap. Make sure you make the connections right.

Using more oil makes your jetting leaner. And using less oil makes it richer. I have read  that a two-stroke makes the best power with a 1:18 mixture. More oil gives better sealing (for the ring) to the cylinder wall. But 1:32 mixture will do fine. It sounds your bike needs to be jetted properly?  :wink:

-Jopizz

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 06:30:33 AM »
You should be able to use the coil from your 250. You can swap the whole thing. That black thing with the sparkplug wire + the spark plug cap. Make sure you make the connections right.

Using more oil makes your jetting leaner. And using less oil makes it richer. I have read  that a two-stroke makes the best power with a 1:18 mixture. More oil gives better sealing (for the ring) to the cylinder wall. But 1:32 mixture will do fine. It sounds your bike needs to be jetted properly?  :wink:

-Jopizz

thanks so it will not blow my cdi or something?I think it have a 60 main in will look tomorrow, what must a 125 have?

Offline Jopiz

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 06:37:14 AM »
As long as the coil is grounded (bolted to frame) its good. You may have to trim the connectors or wrap them together with electrical tape. Just make sure the connection is good. I think you only have to bolt the coil to the frame and make that one connection. When you test the spark hold the sparkplug to ground. To engine, head, frame. Any spot will do which is not painted.

-Jopizz

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 06:40:27 AM »
As long as the coil is grounded (bolted to frame) its good. You may have to trim the connectors or wrap them together with electrical tape. Just make sure the connection is good. I think you only have to bolt the coil to the frame and make that one connection. When you test the spark hold the sparkplug to ground. To engine, head, frame. Any spot will do which is not painted.

-Jopizz

Oke thanks man will say if i need any more help

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 06:46:46 AM »

-Jopizz

One last question? if it works can i live it on?the 250 coil on 125?

Offline Jopiz

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 06:49:58 AM »
Get a 125 coil. It will perform probably a little bit better. But i think you can drive with it for a while. If the spark isnt any better its not then about the coil.

-Jopizz