Author Topic: 1986 Kx500 b2 need advice and restore advice!  (Read 3062 times)

Offline elsurferdude

1986 Kx500 b2 need advice and restore advice!
« on: March 18, 2012, 02:10:27 AM »
 I just finally registered on here and had a few questions about the b2. I just bought an 86 k5 two weeks ago planning a full rebuild top to bottom. I bought the bike not running. It had only 90 psi compression and barely any spark. Plus I noticed the dry seal was blown, filling the stator cover with fuel...lots of it. So I tore the engine apart inspecting everything. replaced all seals, and main bearings.

Cylinder is stock bore, thoughts on nikasel?? or sleeve??

Now, Ive been following your threads on exhaust. Should I grab a full 89-04 fmf pipe and silencer? or go pro circuit?

Piston- I have a new 86 stock one, single ring, flat top.
Will an 89-04 work. It has dual rings and a slight dome top. will it have to be machined to prevent squish band damage??

Intake- I need to buy a new manifold, i have the stock rubber one, but wanted your thoughts on
v-force reed valve,.....or just use the stock cage with updated reeds and spacer kit?

Clutch- would a 89-04 clutch kit fit? b2 only uses 5 springs. so does the newer kits come with 6 springs. Do I need to buy a 86 specific kit? Barnett makes a kevlar kit for 150, should I run aft type f......or 30 weight oil? thoughts??

Lastly, any sweet mods that are easy and cost effective to boost performance?? Like drilling air box cover/ new air filter. Reeds/spacer. Exhaust/pipe.

thanks bro!

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: 1986 Kx500 b2 need advice and restore advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:53:09 AM »
nikasil imo.better heat transfer.as for exhaust, reed valve kits and spacers, it depends where you want the power.low mid, or mid top? some reed valves are to correct airflow into cyl due to rear shock location, but 86 has straight shot.the later pistons fit fine, would advise you use Wossner forged item, and a forged rod kit but NOT the hotrods k5 one, they suck.the later clutch kits fit,fibres and steels, but if you buy springs get b2 ones as they may be a bit stiffer, again, ebay is your friend for these.post up where you want the power and then its clearer what you need.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline awak100

Re: 1986 Kx500 b2 need advice and restore advice!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 04:05:02 PM »
89 and newer pipe is a completely different pipe.  wont fit an 86 well maybe if you bend the hell out of it it will.  I have an 86 cant hardly get any parts for it anymore.  And yes I have put new style pistons in it but compression is low, buy thin head gasket