Author Topic: New Bike Prep (or lack of)  (Read 4830 times)

Offline KXcam22

New Bike Prep (or lack of)
« on: March 07, 2009, 01:44:53 PM »
Serves me right.  I always regrease the steering head bearings on all my new bike before I ride them.  I didn't this time (lazy). I went to change the 450's fork oil and yikes, somethings not right with the steering. Here's the bottom bearing race, new bike 20 hrs on the meter and only one visit to the pressure washer.  Was an odd grease in there, more like a paste than a grease. Hmmm. Cam.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:47:46 PM by KXcam22 »

Offline BDI

Re: New Bike Prep (or lack of)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:16:16 AM »
Did you check out the alco metal lube stuff :? from what I'm told it is the end all be all of greas. I have a tube of it and it weights two too three times as much as a regular tube of greas. I'm told it's what the navy uses for everything.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 03:04:59 PM »
Serves me right.  I always regrease the steering head bearings on all my new bike before I ride them.  I didn't this time (lazy). I went to change the 450's fork oil and yikes, somethings not right with the steering. Here's the bottom bearing race, new bike 20 hrs on the meter and only one visit to the pressure washer.  Was an odd grease in there, more like a paste than a grease. Hmmm. Cam.

Just went through the same thing on my "07" RM250. Has about 90 hours on it now. Bottom bearing was toast but the top one was fine. Same thing though! Some cheap tan/brownish grease that was used had completely dried out. Would notice that the steering felt locked up after sitting in the garage between rides. Would apply more force than I thought should be neccessary to move the steering off the stop and then it would feel smooth again. After about two months of this it started to feel notchy also.

Lesson learned for me was that at the very first sign of trouble or before any signs of trouble suspension/steering bearings have now been put on a one year inspection and regrease and any new bikes I purchase from now on will be tore apart and greased with a top quality synthetic that is water resistant and will not dry out in the desert environment.
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
BDI,
 That alco looks interresting.  I have some similar pulp mill grease ($100/ tube) that I use occasionally for wicked applications.  I will assemble this with the belray waterproof grease-That stuff will stick to the outside of my skiboat prop after a few days at the lake. Cam.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 06:12:59 AM »
I like the high temp wheel bearing grease (red). Been using for the last few years.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Emerica5

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 05:48:14 AM »
Yeah I probably should of checked my bike out when I first got it but I was a bit too excited to do so. I remember getting a CR80 from a dealership here in California 10 years back that had no oil in it, low coolant, and a drop of gas in the tank.