Author Topic: Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s  (Read 18287 times)

kawdude

Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2004, 05:05:22 PM »
What was cracked in the tranny?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2004, 05:08:42 PM »
The left case at the bottom, it actually looked like maybe a rock came up and hit it. But, it was about an inch from the drain plug, btw, when I sent my parts to EG it took about 4 MONTHS!  :shock: But was totally worth it. Costed me over 1k, but was still worth it.  :cry:

kawdude

Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2004, 05:11:02 PM »
Interesting.  I noticed on mine that there is a very small crack on the bottom right in front of the engine mount.  Right where one of the case bolts goes.  I found it after everything was back together.  I said screw it and JB welded it.

4 Months :shock: holy crap!!!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2004, 05:15:04 PM »
JB Weld! That is great stuff, but I was too scared as I could see oil was leaking out of the crack, so I did not know if it was a stress point. But, he did a good job on it. I had alot of problems when I sent it in. I let my engine get rained on, neglegence and left my crank to rust and pit. So, had to get another crank too. Uggh, but USC was what took so long. But, again, it is worth it. :-) Now, I need my drain plug fixed, I think I stripped it. :-( But, not willing to check incase I can't tighten it again. :-)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2004, 05:16:37 PM »
Quote from: kawdude

4 Months :shock: holy crap!!!

Yeah, he had a hard time locating a crankshaft and it was about now, but if nothing is needed, hopefully it won't take that long.

EDIT: I'm looking at my invoice now, let's see, the invoice date was March 10th. Got it back in late May. :-) Let's see here is what was on it:

Cylinder Bore /w USC $165
Weld Repairs (Cylinder & Tranny) $ 75
Engine rebuilding with Crank work $175
Main Bearings & Seals, gaskets, + hot rod $200
OEM Parts: Tranny Bearings + Seals and Crankshaft $265
Wiseco Piston $100
Freight Charge $50

$1030.00  :shock:

kawdude

Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2004, 01:08:15 PM »
That's the same work that I just got done doing.  It's amazing how much that stuff costs.  I'm concerned what he's gonna charge me for the welding.  I expected to pay around 400 but with the welding and new valves...god only knows what the bill will be.  My only concern is he did all this without asking what I wanted to.  Granted I would have said yes but still...

Do happen to know if welding on the cylinder effects it in any way?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on JB weld.  The crack is under the crank so very little ever leaks out.  I looked inside the crank well when it was apart and didn't see anything.  Hopefully all this work won't be for naught.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2004, 02:12:25 PM »
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, aside from that, the welding seems to have held up great! I check my cylinder and lower welding and it has held up great! You would not have even known it was welded if you did not know what to look for.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2004, 02:14:08 PM »
Btw, try calling him and ask him about the price, I annoyed the hell out of him asking, but a job that was suppose to be around $700 and knowing it would jack up, I feel the right to ask. :-) Still happy with his work and worth it. Please don't get me wrong.

Thanks

kawdude

Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2004, 02:24:22 PM »
That's a good point.  I think I'll be giving him a call.

kawdude

Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2004, 05:01:13 AM »
I placed a call to FM and was told that the top should be in my hands by Friday.  Cool!  Now for some questions...

1.  Ring gap- is this done by FM or do I need to do it.  What is the spec?
2.  Break in Oil- I just purchased 2 quarts of Super-M but I'm hearing that you should NOT use a semi-syn for this period...comments?

Thanks everyone for your patience.

mikesmith

Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2004, 06:49:36 AM »
Ring gap for 1987 up is .006-.014 for new rings and the wear limit is .028,I would check it my self even if FM? has told you he has.As far as not using Super-M to break it in,thats a new one to me.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2004, 02:50:08 PM »
EG does check the gap. But, it is always best to check it anyway. Let me know how it runs.

kawdude

Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2004, 09:15:41 AM »
Woohoo!  Top end just arrived.

For the Steel head gasket do the bumps go up and with the circlips is the open end supposed to be up or down or does it matter?

Can't wait crank it up...

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2004, 03:36:50 PM »
I think the bump is up..

mikesmith

Rebuilding 5 hunny ???s
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2004, 07:03:13 AM »
Head gasket has metal rings in the center,the shorter side faces up.The circlips open end can be up or down but not on its side as they could bonce out of there grooves.