Author Topic: Kx500 vibration  (Read 2098 times)

Offline kxraptor

Kx500 vibration
« on: June 08, 2009, 09:20:28 AM »
I have a '01 kx500 that I love dearly.What I dont love is the vibration the engine puts out.After a couple of hours ridin I'm toasted.I have Fassflex bars that helped a bit but I need more help.Please!!!

Offline tharden

Re: Kx500 vibration
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »
From what I have read the two main causes of vibration is the crank out of clock and it being a 500cc two stroke.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 02:57:38 AM »
Worn main bearing could be an issue. Have you checked all the engine mounts?
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 04:01:23 AM »
If it really bothers you, you might have to get the crank trued.  It is my understanding that the crank QC is not as good as it could be so that some with a good crank hardly vibrate and other vibrate lots.  It did not seem to get better with later years. My 92 does not vibrate at all, other than being a 500.  As Hughes says, worn main bearing can also cause some (or all) of that.  It is important to use higest quality main bearings possible, last longest and tightest clearances. Cam.

Offline barryadam

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
From what I have read the two main causes of vibration is the crank out of clock and it being a 500cc two stroke.

two stroke is not an issue.  The main problem is that it is a single cylinder which is inherantly unbalanced.  The larger the bore and stoke (displacement), the larger the reciprocating mass, and hence the larger the resultant unbalance forces.

The best you can do is have fresh main bearings that are within tolerance and an aligned crank.  As well as good motor mounting.  Could be worse.  Could be an American single pin crank V-twin.  :lol:

"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI