Author Topic: Starting Question.  (Read 4113 times)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Starting Question.
« on: January 06, 2004, 11:13:31 PM »
Well, I'm back finally after a long holiday.
 :cry:

Anyway, I figured it was time to restore the KX500 and get my life on. I have a question about starting it. When I first purchased it, it fired first kick, big full kick though. Now, it is more like the first 30 kicks. Full and hard. What can I do to help a cold start? Moisture in the cylinder maybe, is there anything I can to to prevent that? I've killed my alpinestars trying to start it within' the past 2 months. Anyway, I just (6 months ago) had it rebuilt from bottom-to-top. So, I don't think the rings are fried. Spark is strong. I think it might be fuel, once the bike is warm, it fires up right away, so I don't think it is ignition, as I never messed with it. It's fuel, cause I have to lay it on it's side and let some gas drain to get it to even consider firing up. That's after about 20 kicks. :-(

Thanks I appreciate it.

Rick

Starting Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 02:41:43 AM »
How's your float level?  

Also, I have had the petcock filter get clogged, which in turn would slow fuel delivery.  Once started, the gas sloshing around would apparently move the debris away from the petcock.

Maybe someone else has some thoughts.

Rick

mikesmith

Starting Question.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 08:10:44 AM »
It may sound to basic,but hows jetting?Needle and seat o.k.?Floats sticking?Is the fuel old?Is the spark blue or yellow?With the float level I found it worked best for me to run it a little higher than specs,but it wasnt a starting problem with the float, it was a blubbering on rough terrain fix.Even though you just did the top end I'd check the compression,may-be a ring stuck or broke.My cold starting drill is choke on,slowly run the kick starter down a few strokes to charge the cylinder,then a a good kick with almost no throttle and it starts right up,or I may have to give it a little more throttle if its more than one kick.But it's no more than 3 kicks.If it doesnt start on the first 5or6 trys,hold the throttle open 3/4 and try that.You need fuel,spark and compression to run,did this problem develop after your long holiday?Or has this been a ongoing thing?

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Starting Question.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 09:34:52 AM »
If you have not already changed the spark plug I would suggest changing it first. I mean it's cheap & quick. You could get a nice looking spark when the spark plug is unmounted but when it's mounted and under compression it's a different matter. If it's old - change it just to eliminate this cause.

Fuel, compression, spark + timing = 500cc fun!

Old fuel is could also be a problem...

//John

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Starting Question.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 10:09:03 AM »
Hey Guys, no, this is a ongoing process, I moved the bike up to VA as I could not ride due to lack of time, let my cusin ride it, now I have it back cause I want to ride.. :-) Anyway, yes, I've changed the gas and plugs. The jetting I had to redo, cause the stupid thing was bogging out when hot. I changed the needle to the stock # and it runs like brand new, except a water pump seal leaking into the crank which is fixed now. I will try out the gas tank deal, then check the jetting. I've got good fire, checked that. But, I'm now thinking compression or fuel.  I hope one or the other. Thanks for the help, is there anything I can do to help it start when cold after a long day of riding? Thanks guys[/list]

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

Starting Question.
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 04:18:17 PM »
all replies are right on to check.while at it check your pilot jet make sure it is  clear and reeds are not chipped.but first comes the plug then compression.just my 1 cents worth.

kawdude

Starting Question.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 04:31:09 PM »
First off...there's a petcock filter???

Mine has the same problem.  Harder then crap to start only I would say mine very well could be a float or jetting issue.  I checked the compression and I think it was about 155 cold.  Currently, I ripped mine apart to rebuild and noticed that the needle was set at the very top position and the jets are 162M and 62sj.  Someone mentioned needle and seat...how do you tell if its bad and how to you change the needle seat?

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Starting Question.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 03:39:37 AM »
How are the reeds?  If they are worn, I believe that it could cause hard starting.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Starting Question.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 03:41:16 AM »
And that slow jet.... I think I'm running a 52 @1000' above sea level.  Isn't the 62 the stock size?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

91kx

Starting Question.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 04:16:12 AM »
I'd also suggest checking the reeds.When I start my bike I lean it over to let the gas dribble out before i even kick it.I then snick it into gear and rock it back and forth 5 or 6 times get on it with the choke on and make sure I get a full kick.It's worked great on all my bikes.Even if they've been standing around for awhile.

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Starting Question.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 04:36:26 AM »
Just to add one more to the flood of tips here. Check that the kick-start is mounted correctly (I have to elaborate on this - it sounds stupid).

Make sure the kick start is mounted on the kick start axle on the right spline (correct word?) It should be pointing forward - as much as possible). If you have an aftermarket expansion chamber you can mount it "wrong" i.e. not optimal. If so, you won?t be getting the max momentum in your kick. This will be particularly visible when the engine is cold and generally harder to start ? but not impossible.

1 Penny worth...

/John

Sharc

Starting Question.
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 05:25:10 AM »
Good tip from John - I rotated my kick start lever back to look better, and it did affect starting, so I put it back. I kick it through real slow 3 or 4 times, get it to the very top of the stroke, then boot it like my life depends on it. 1-3 kicks hot cold or just crashed it fires right up. 2002 stock jetting at sea level to 3500 ft. You might have done this but try stock jetting or very close to it, clean air filter, new plug, fresh gas, and if it wont start take it to a dealer...(?) I know they suck, but maybe they'll actually fix it...

Sharc

kawdude

Excellent Info!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 08:45:26 AM »
I don't want to monopolize gowen post but I appreciate the feedback.  I've questioned the jetting on the bike before but have never screwed with it.  After the rebuild I plan to start with jetting chart on this site and go from there.  I feel that the bike acts rich.  Lots of splooge and no power past mid range.  Bike will not lift the tire past second gear which might be safer but I want the full powerband.  I assume this thing should hit hard in all 5 gears past mid throttle.

How do I know what size needle jet is in the bike?  Who sells these besides Kaw?

I will try starting it by priming the cylinder and see what happens.  Cold I usually just pull the choke and start kicking.  I did install the moose spacer and steahly weight which seemed to improve the starting but after I did that the popping increased.  (engine rpm pops when I let off the throttle)  In looking at the carb it looks like one corner of the slide is dinged and might be allowing to much air thru.

As far as the reedvalves go they seem to be good.  No cracks or chips.  I agree with the kickstart comment.  In the past, I had positioned it so I would not have to lift my knee to the same height as my ear but that didn't work so I'm back to one notch or so forward.

I have never replaced the plug but certainly will.  Recommendations???