Author Topic: Calling all sand riders, I need help with "Death Wobble"  (Read 3103 times)

Offline SeaSpyder

Calling all sand riders, I need help with "Death Wobble"
« on: June 08, 2009, 06:36:03 AM »
The bike is a 1992 KX500 rear shock rebuilt, front forks stock unknown condition of fluid at this point, forks level with top of triple tree, stock front knobbie tire, 110/19 10 paddle Skat Trak Intimidator rear tire, PC 2 pipe, re jetted carb, motor stock bore.  Last Friday the 5th was my first ride on sand, I'll never ride another quad again!  The bike gets a wobble so bad it almost throws me off I cant tell if it starts in the front or rear of the bike, I'm looking for any advice on bike set up or diagnosing what the heck is wrong with my set up.  The rear tire has ribs down the center of it as tall as the paddles, i"m wondering if they are causing it to hydro plane on the sand?  I switched bikes with my buddy and rode his CR500, his bike is stock with an 18" rear wheel and 12 paddle whiched tracked perfectly, I watched him on my KX it was everywhere except straight!  Advice and opinions appreciated.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
Re: Calling all sand riders, I need help with "Death Wobble"
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 01:05:37 PM »
  The bike gets a wobble so bad it almost throws me off I cant tell if it starts in the front or rear of the bike, I'm looking for any advice on bike set up or diagnosing what the heck is wrong with my set up.  The rear tire has ribs down the center of it as tall as the paddles.
i remember, bdi had a tire that had that center rib on it and it did the same thing as you are describing. get rid of that tire and get a plain paddled tire and that wobble will be gone. my scat trak does not have a center rib and it tracks just fine in the sand. i want to try that 3 ribbed front tire to make the bike steer a little better in the dunes. i think it would make a huge difference in fighting the front tire washout that we all feel in the sand. the tire looks retarded but i'd sacrifice some "coolfactor" for some better function.

MADDOGGY

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:06:49 PM »
Thats a great tire :lol: :lol: I recall one time doing a fifth gear 80 mph wheelie in the sand and the bike just leaned over at a 45 degree angle and just stayed there. I was still going strait thinking if I set the front wheel down now im going to be side ways on impact and I'm pinned in fifth. Well I did set it down and it was very frightning to say the least. Freinds of mine were like you need to take that tire off or quit riding the bike. that was just from watching me ride the bike. Now I'm sure your bike could benefit from some proper sand set up. If it is not set up right for the sand that tire is going magnify any handling problems. That tire is down right scary and I promise you I dont scare easy. I like the 8 cup turbo paddle over every tire I have ever run.

is this the tire you have http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=11120&pos=5
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 02:15:38 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »
I have yet to run a paddle on the K5 but I have tried most of the 19" paddles on my 250 & found that NONE came close to the traction offered by the Cheap Cheng Shin 5.60 x 18. The 250 would just light up any of the 19" but pulls extremely hard with the 5.60. I use this for Sand Drags & think (??) this would also be the case in the Dunes, especially with the K5. The tire is bigger so I would assume it would make the bike jump a little different, but with all of that difference in traction I feel it would be well worth it.
Just my 2 pennies.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline SeaSpyder

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 02:30:53 AM »
BDI, yes thats the tire I'm running, the bike goes every direction but straight!

Offline bigdaddyfatsac

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 01:32:18 PM »
I have a WER Dampener on mine, I've never experienced any wobble when riding in the sand.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 01:48:33 PM »
I've used steering stabilizers off of GSXR750's you can pickthem up cheap on ebay . Weld a tab on the steering stop at the bottom of the frame head where the triple tree mounts. You can bolt the stabilzer to it , then all you need to fab a fork clamp. This set-up works well and is very inexpensive ,also you have to cut the front number plate to clearance.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline BDI

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »
I never even thought how bad it would be without a dampner.

Offline stock500

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 04:28:20 AM »
The front tire has a really bad wobble to it at speed.  I had mine balanced and it helped lots.  That may be some of the problem.
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline SeaSpyder

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 09:08:12 AM »
I've got a new Hooker paddle and am in the process of servicing the forks. also going to lower them a little in the clamps, currently they are flush with the top.  I'll report back to you guys after I take back out in the sand

Offline bennieben

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 10:35:33 AM »
i took off my maxxis front and put on a dunlop 742fa. it tracks beautiful in sand, rocks, and gravel. i love it.
teamgodzilla since 2004...a dirtbike & atv riding club.  if your friends dont ride, then its time to get new friends :)    "a day without wheelies, is like i didnt go riding at all" (ben peralta)

Offline BDI

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 06:27:50 AM »
I've got a new Hooker paddle and am in the process of servicing the forks. also going to lower them a little in the clamps, currently they are flush with the top.  I'll report back to you guys after I take back out in the sand
That will steepen the head angle and make the bike less stable at high speed. You are going the wrong way with that. You could run a little more sag in the rear to get some more rake but I think the paddle tire is going to fix your problem. I can't stress to you enough how bad of a tire that is.