Author Topic: Suspension overhaul tools?  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Uzi9mm

Suspension overhaul tools?
« on: June 03, 2009, 11:57:22 AM »
In addition to servicing the front and rear suspension, I'd like to replace the wheel bearings, suspension bearings/linkage, and steering bearings.  Other than common hand tools, what "special tools" will I need to make this overhaul a breeze?   

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:09:07 PM by Uzi9mm »
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline KXcam22

Re: Suspension overhaul tools?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 02:58:17 PM »
About the only "special" thing I have is a long punch which is a 24" piece of 3/8" stainless round bar stock.  Nice for tapping out steering races and wheel bearing races.  Everything else is manageable with common stuff in the tool box.  Seems to me the KX needed a 14mm allen wrench for the bottom of the forks which can be made from a bolt. Cam.

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 04:00:35 PM »
You need a bearing puller, spacifically a needle bearing puller/blind bearing puller. Getting needle bearings out can be very hard. If you break a needle bearing while trying to get it out with a punch or screw driver you will be left with a thin metal shell that is nearly impossible to get out with out damaging the part that the bearing is pressed into.

http://pitposse.stores.yahoo.net/poblbebrpuse.html
            http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95987         

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 05:35:57 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 04:05:08 PM »
How about for the forks, fork seals and rear shock?  Common hand tools sufficient there too?
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 04:07:39 PM »
How about for the forks, fork seals and rear shock?  Common hand tools sufficient there too?
nope you are going to need a manual. the manual will also tell you all the tools you need, good luck.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:14:59 AM »
I've always managed to tap out the needle bearing holders with an appropriate sized socket.  Not the coolest method but effective.  Often a bolt throught the socket with some type of anchor plate turns it into an effective puller. Cam.

Offline don46

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 04:09:28 AM »
BDI is right, when you break the lip off the needle bearings they are a bugger, I always use my propane torch and heat the aluminum before trying to remove them, it makes your life much easier. Many of my fork and shock tools I've made, like the rod to pull the damper rod up while installing the spring and cap, and then there is a really narrow wrench to loosen the oil lock collars so you can remove the dampening rod. You'll need nitrogen for the shock, small picks to remove the snap ring. On the newer stuff it takes a few more speciality tools to complete the job but you shouldn't need many for the k5. I like tools, so I either make what I need or buy them, it always makes the job easier if you have the right tools. The 09 kx450 doesn't have a schrader valve on the shock, you have to use a needle, I'm thinking about building a new cap with a schrader valve but thats another story.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come