Author Topic: Frame Repairs  (Read 3069 times)

gmtexas

Frame Repairs
« on: December 27, 2003, 01:38:58 PM »
I have just broken the tab on my frame where my gas tank rests,(one side is cracked along the weld). Also the pipe bracket under the tank looks like it was welded by a blind man. What is the best way to weld these, mig etc. Maybe another thread could be, types of welders you use. I see a new tool "welder" in my near future. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You: Greg :roll:

Thanks for the info: I will check to see if any locals have a good reputation or experience with bikes. I do not mind paying for service but more often than should be, I end up disappointed.

mikesmith

Frame Repairs
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 08:13:26 PM »
TIG is best,but MIG is fine.Buy a Hobart Handler,there great little MIG welder.

Rick

Frame Repairs
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 02:53:15 AM »
Yup, Mig will work just dandy, but make sure to use a wire wheel on a grinder to clean the paint off the frame before you begin, as a wire feed does not dig through paint and other stuff as easy as the old stick welders.  As a note, I have also used a stick welder, but you have to be a very good welder to use a stick on such thin material.  I've fixed some pretty ugly "welds" that were laid down by folks who "thought" they had the skills with a stick welder.  To be safe, a wire feed is a snap.

Rick

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Frame Repairs
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 07:20:56 AM »
I am not trying to offend you but... if you don?t have any welding skills - don't do it yourself. Leave it to the professionals.

I used to be a mechanic and have been a skilled welder, but that was long time ago. I even used to have a license to weld in pressure chambers and nuclear plants. I wouldn't experiment on my frame. If you heat it the welding spot up too much you?ll change the characteristics of the metal etc. Really, it?s not worth it.

Unless you are like me ? stubborn and do it yourself type of person!  :wink:

//John

Rick

Frame Repairs
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 03:05:01 AM »
Good advice.  The frame of you high speed monster is not the place to practice...unless of course you are into looking a little foolish when you have to take to the local welding shop to fix. :wink:

Rick

kawdude

Frame Repairs
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 03:38:35 AM »
If you don't have a lot of welding experience I wouldn't try either.  John is right...heating the frame incorrectly could weaken.  However, I doubt a local welding shop would pay attention to this either.  It's been my experience that they just weld it and don't give attention to detail.