Author Topic: HELP !? Can you help me with some jetting Q's?  (Read 2273 times)

delusionised

HELP !? Can you help me with some jetting Q's?
« on: December 25, 2003, 09:02:25 PM »
I am adding a v-force reed cage and a fmf fatty on my stock 03' KX5, what do you thing i shoud do about jetting and needle position, i am a begginer as far as jetting carbs so if you could give my some advice as to what size jets(pilot, slow, main) i should run or links to sites that would have this information, i would be most appreciative. Ohh and i live in arizona so im about 2,400 ft. above sea level riding in usual az climate and my bike is right now stock reeds, stock pipe and stock jetting, but the beforementioned parts are going to be added all in one shot.... thank you for your time

Long live the beast KX5

1alldave

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 05:09:27 AM »
Pilot and slow jet are the same thing on the stock carb. If it is running properly now, you probably will not need to do anything to the pilot with those mods. If you want to be real carefull, go up a couple of sizes on the main, until it blubbers on top, then come back down 1 size at a time until it runs clean.Then check the plug after a full throttle run. Warm it up fully, run it thru the gears,hold at full throttle for 20 seconds or so, then pull in the clutch and hit the kill button. Coast to a stop and check the plug.You are looking for a chocolate brown color on the insulator of the plug. Too white means lean, black means rich.Get the main jet right and then we will worry about the clip position. Are you running pump gas?What oil and ratio are you using?

delusionised

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 07:11:39 PM »
Thanks for info, I am running 92 octane and running 32:1 to 40:1, I hate taking the plug out :x

Offline GreenMachine

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 08:33:23 PM »
I been searching for about an hour now for a post on another board that explains how to jet a 2 stroke just about the best I have ever read. I know the guys were talking about banshees but I cannot remember the site. If no one else answers your question or you have problems, I will try to rewrite it for ya. As for any one else if you have seen a post like I am about to discribe please let me know where. I had it saved, but a HD crash left me with out it. Basically he starts with a clean air filter and a main jet that is obiviously too large and works down to the right size. and repeats the steps with the needle and air screw.

Thanks,
Jody
Even the mightiest of oaks was once just a crazy nut that stood its ground.

delusionised

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 06:37:55 PM »
Thanks for trying to help, i am very interested in that article, i appreciate you looking.