Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearings  (Read 2090 times)

Offline stock500

Rear Wheel Bearings
« on: May 21, 2009, 03:52:47 AM »
I thought this is a really simple job, but I am having trouble getting my rear bearings out of my hub.  I removed the dust gaurds, and the snap ring, but I can't get the bearings out.  I have tapped on them with a wooden dowl, but they won't budge.  Should I just hit them harder???
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline Jopiz

Re: Rear Wheel Bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 04:01:46 AM »

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:10:55 AM »
 :-D I just use a long blunt punch. You'd think that it'd be easier to take the bearring out first from the side the clip's on. I pull the grease seals, that clip, then force the internal spacer to the side and knock out the one across from the clip. Clip side bearring last. I'm not sure if that will work or is the problem on your bike, but this works on my 250 and 500. For some reason I can never get the spacer out of the way for the clip side bearring. Then I use a socket that is just smaller than the bearring to tap  the new one back in. Clean and grease, spacer, axel,and seals, don't forget the clip.

Offline stock500

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 02:19:33 PM »
It was really easy once I put pressure on the right side of the bearings LOL.  Thanks for the replys. 
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 02:43:11 PM »
Great video, but using a socket to hammer on looks amateur, I know we all have done that before, but on video they could have used a race driver to look more professional.
 Also we all have used a screwdriver to pry out seals, but a seal puller or lady slipper would look more professional.
  Johnniespeed amateur film critic
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.