Author Topic: tank is resting on top of the pipe  (Read 2142 times)

Offline bennieben

tank is resting on top of the pipe
« on: May 18, 2009, 05:29:55 AM »
heeeeelp!!!! i just picked up a 2004 kx500. its in great shape, but the big desert tank is resting on top of the pipe. is this normal? is it okay? should i just put the stocker back on?
teamgodzilla since 2004...a dirtbike & atv riding club.  if your friends dont ride, then its time to get new friends :)    "a day without wheelies, is like i didnt go riding at all" (ben peralta)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: tank is resting on top of the pipe
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:47:52 AM »
It's not o.k to use. The pipe could melt the tank. Aftermarket pipe or stock? Some times you can get a little wiggle room with the pipe by losen all the pipe mounts lighty pull the pipe downward and then re-tighten all pipe mounts. Have you had the pipe off the bike to ensure no other issues? Also theres a rubber pad at the rear under the tank that the tank rests on, make sure it's in place.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 05:50:54 AM »
I have an '04 also but I have the FMF Gnarly pipe.  IMS tank.  Tank should not touch.  Mine is real close so I put that silver colored alum tape on the tank.  I'll see if I have a picture.

I  found this one, I can take a close up if you need it.  As you can see the tank is real close.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 06:16:33 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline bennieben

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:58:32 AM »
thanks fellas. i think ill put the mean green stock tank back on and be done with it  :mrgreen: :-D
teamgodzilla since 2004...a dirtbike & atv riding club.  if your friends dont ride, then its time to get new friends :)    "a day without wheelies, is like i didnt go riding at all" (ben peralta)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:34:24 PM »
I modified the mount to allow my pipe a little more room under the tank but the downside is now it could melt your side panel, so you gotta get crafty and come up with a compramise
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
Actually the 04 tank is mean black.  Are you going to sell the big tank ?  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.