Author Topic: Chain Adjuster  (Read 1720 times)

Offline stock500

Chain Adjuster
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »
My chain adjuster bolt broke last year. I tried to drill the bolt out but I really messed it up. Now I have a hole about half inch diameter and it is off center. How do I fix this now.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 03:05:53 PM by stock500 »
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline JustinSB

Re: Chain Adjuster
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:31:33 PM »
You could try to drill a good straight, clean hole that is a good amount bigger than the size needed for the chain adjuster. Then tap that and screw in a large bolt with red loctight. Cut off the end of that bolt so you have the hole filled and the bolt is cut off flush with the plate. Then drill that hole spot on and tap. Then screw you chain adjuster into the new threads cut into the bolt. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense.

Its worth taking it to a machine shop and seeing what they say.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 10:44:37 PM »
My chain adjuster bolt broke last year. I tried to drill the bolt out but I really messed it up. Now I have a hole about half inch diameter and it is off center. How do I fix this now.

Oh man, if I had a dime for every siezed Kawasaki swingarm chain adj. bolt issue....  :(

That's a real challenge to get the snapped bolt out. let alone a bolt that's been drilled out off center. The few people I talked to who had this happen, ended up taking the swingarm to a machine shop to have the bolt machined out.
You also might be able to find a cheap swingarm on Ebay?

oh yea, last comment, sorry to rub salt but:  **COUGH- Anti-sieze- COUGH*** :)
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »
Have it welded and redrilled to the correct size. You should be able to have it done for about $50-$60. If you cant get it done locally you can send it to me but by the time you pay freight both ways you could buy on off E-Bay as Polar-Bus said. Also, What year is the swingarm?

JFAB
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:29:28 PM by jfabmotorsports.com »
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline stock500

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 03:14:44 AM »
I just got a swing arm off ebay for 66 bucks shipped, I hope the 96 will fit the 04 I have.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:27:59 AM by stock500 »
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!