Author Topic: Rear wheel offset  (Read 3203 times)

Offline vetrider

Rear wheel offset
« on: May 22, 2009, 06:50:16 AM »
Hi to everyone.  This is my first post.  I?m needing some help with the rear wheel of my 03 KX500.  I bought this bike used but the rear wheel was destroyed (had a broken hub).  I was able to get a used rear hub in great shape and am in the process of rebuilding it additionally I am going to convert it to an 18 inch.  What I need is the rear wheel offset measurement.  Does anybody have the factory spec on this measurement?  I have the owners and service manuals but this info is not listed.  Also if anyone has a spare wheel that you could measure.  I?m looking for the distance from the face of the brake disc to the top of the rim lip.   Thanks everyone.

Vetrider 

Offline BDI

Re: Rear wheel offset
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 09:00:58 AM »
have you bought your spokes and wheel yet  :? I know that alot of times the spokes come with a little paper that will give you the offset for your app.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline vetrider

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 07:51:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply BDI I purchased an Excel spoke kit but there was no offset information included.  Waiting for the rim.  I can lace it with no problems but my truing skills aren't all that hot so I figured i'd have a shop do the truing part but need to know the offset.  Anyone know this measurement?  Anyone with a spare wheel they can measure?

Vetrider

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 08:01:46 AM »
I only have 250 wheels for my bike Is a 250/500. Most shops will not give you any kind of a break for lacing the wheel because they don't want to incourage peopl to try to do it their self. What winds up happening is they get screwed up wheels that are more work then if they had done the whole thing. If you can lace the wheel you should be able to tention it yourself when you start with a new wheel and new spokes it is super easy to get it strait. Would you like some advice on how to tention the wheel.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 02:49:42 PM by BDI »

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:12:47 AM »
For what it's worth the offset of my 250 wheel is 35mm. I took this picture to show how we need the offset measured.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:16:40 AM by BDI »

Offline vetrider

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 05:06:24 AM »
Thanks again for your reply BDI.  The 35mm measurement is exactly what I was looking for.  Judging by your picture the rear hub looks the same as a 500.   What year is your 250?

Vetrider

Offline BDI

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 05:10:13 AM »
2002 It may be the same but I don't know that for sure. I know the 500 engine lined up just fine so mabe the offset would be the same.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:29:02 AM »
I second the truing it yourself.  If you have the ability to lace it then I think you should be able to tension and true it very easily.  It takes about 3 beer to true a wheel. Post back and we will be glad to help you through it. Cam.