Author Topic: k5 engine. Where to buy?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Jaymz

k5 engine. Where to buy?
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »
I'd like to buy a kx500 engine(kx500-e16 ?), but there isn't so many in ebay or anywhere else. Could someone give me an hint where to look for?

I've heard service honda builds kx500af:s with new engines. Maybe i could buy a new engine? Does anyone know the price for new one?

Thanks!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: k5 engine. Where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:52:36 AM »
I bought a near new 2001 KX500, the KX500AF was an after thought.  I saved $4000 supplying an engine to AJ for my Service Kawasaki KX500AF.  He has never let anyone supply a donor engine for a build and most likely won't let anyone supply an engine again.  My engine was near new, that's the only reason he let me supply it.  It's hard for them to keep their hands on quality control when they install a used engine.  I have an understanding with AJ/Service Honda,  there will be NO complaints on how my bike performs.  That's totally on ME.  I have total confidence with my engine in their bike.  They made sure everything worked on their end.  Engine was up to me.
With shipping of the engine, cost of my used bike and the cost of the new KX450F, I still paid $11,000 for my KX500AF.  The only difference, I have a rolling chassis, less engine and engine components.

My build,
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,4784.45.html

I have no idea on where to buy a "good" engine.  E-Bay is a crap shoot.  It's like a box of chocolate, ya never know what your going to get.  Ask all the right questions and make them supply lots of pictures.  Get a shot of the piston through the exhaust port.
KX 500 Rider

Offline don46

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 02:24:08 AM »
I recently picked up a 2003 kx 500, recently had a new piston installed that I may part with, what do you think it would be worth? and please don't insult me.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:45:17 AM »
please don't insult me.

You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny.   :mrgreen:
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 03:45:51 AM »
call stewart he has many parts to put together a engine for you.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 04:09:18 AM »
what do you think it would be worth? and please don't insult me.

So I take it a hundred bucks is out of the question?
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:15:00 AM »
I recently picked up a 2003 kx 500, recently had a new piston installed that I may part with, what do you think it would be worth? and please don't insult me.

I'll quit digging in the couch.
KX 500 Rider

Offline BDI

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:33:36 AM »
I would say that a complete engine package Is worth half the price of the whole bike. So now lets say you have an old beat down 92 that was worth $1600.00 the engine would be worth $800.00. If it's missing things like carb or electronics the price needs to be adjusted for that. Now if you are looking for a newer engine in good condition you may have pay quit a bit for it. I have a complete 02 engine and I can't imagine what it would take to pry it out of my hands. You might be better off buying a complete bike for a good deal and sell off what you don't want or need. This is just my opinoion and by no means based on anything but my opinoin.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:40:45 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline AJ

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 03:26:51 PM »
we (Service Kawasaki) would sell new KX500 engines if we have them i nstock, (above and beyonmd th eone swe have slated to fill KX500AF orders)
http://www.servicehonda.com/index.html

they are a very expensive engines to build/assemvble as al lthe kawaski parts to build on ewadd up to a pretty good amount.
(go price out all the KX500 engine parts, at the least expensive place you can find , and you will probably fall over from sticker shock)

I have actually never priced one out to sell,just as an engine,
 so 'id need to see what a new engine would retail for.
I will try and work up a price.

I know that it is substantiaslly more than a new CR500 engine.(which are listed on our website for sale)
http://www.servicehonda.com/parts/engines.html
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 04:29:06 AM by Danger4u2 »