Author Topic: kx 500 kick start spring  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: kx 500 kick start spring
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 01:24:28 AM »
 The 4-5 drops don't hurt anything besides the clean floor. It is a common mistake to overtighten that bolt, so you are thinking smart there. I had this issue with my kicker when I had a water pump seal go. Another time the little plastic collar had broke, but was hard to find until disassembled. There is no tool to pull the clutch, but there is one to hold the basket still. an impact would help you remove it, but the little tool for holding the basket is handy for tightening the clutch nut down. Hughes is right, taking it apart, may save you the money. Any goop or issue with getting all the spring tension to the gear would hold you up. The slipping is what is wearing the teeth, so you may be adding to the parts needed by putting off the repair. Ebay is risky business. I've got a box full of crap that I got a goo deal on, but was the wrong parts or for the wrong bike or already wore out. If nothing is broken or wore-out, that tip about stretching the spring out might be the ticket.

Offline kx12r

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 01:32:26 AM »
wow thanks  this site is so much help im gonna go for a spin now haha  and if any of you guys are on facebook be sure to add me as your friend jamie slade ( profile pic is a guy on water on a bike) so we can share pics ima post up some of the k5 today and thanks again

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 06:53:32 AM »
You'll need this tool to hold the inner clutch hub while you torque/loosen the clutch basket/inner hub nut. I have this same tool and it works pretty good.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 07:42:21 AM »
I have that same tool.
KX 500 Rider