Author Topic: Cop like's KX5/not on the street.  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Cop like's KX5/not on the street.
« on: May 09, 2009, 01:19:28 PM »
House of Kawasaki (Okla.City) had their annual open house/crotch rocket stunt show today.  So I thought I would ride the dual sported K5.  Got all kinds of complements on the conversion. After the show I was almost to the house and found out there is still a cool/lenient cop on the OKC police force.  When I got off the interstate the light was green when I first saw it.  So I gassed it and caught the green light.  It's a big sweeper of a turn, 2 turn lanes, 2 forward lanes going under the interstate.  I wanted to catch the second light so I gassed it more.  I did see yellow as I went under the light.  Service road is a block past the light.  A quick right turn onto the service road and it's 3/4 mile to the house.  My 1 mirror vibrates so much all I could tell is a car of some sort is coming up fast.  Even with the vibration there is no mistaking the old red and blue lights.  Of course I pulled over.  He saw me make the left turn from the top of the hill as he came down the boulevard I turned onto.  Said he thought I was going a little fast.  Said I was for sure going too fast on the service road.  I told him the speedo was a little off.  "You running GPS?"  Yes.  "So the bike's not street legal? I went "Ahhh, it's tagged and insured."  "Do you want me to start listing what's illegal on your bike."  "No sir, I know better and I know what's illegal."  He says "MX tires, no speedometer, muffler.............."  I whipped out the license and insurance card. He hands them back and laughs, "It looks like allot of fun but I don't want to see it on the street again."  I told him I have wheels with street tires.  Said if he saw me again, I need to just pull over because he WILL check the bike over.
Can't argue with that, I should have put the street wheels on and I should not be speeding.  I have a speedometer I just need to make a mount because I have aftermarket bar clamps.
I don't think it's right that my K5 is no were near as loud as a Harley but he says something about it.
He was fair with me, no ticket not even a warning ticket.  Missed the bullet on that one.
KX 500 Rider

Offline demographic

Re: Cop like's KX5/not on the street.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 04:16:36 AM »
Can't see why the GPS couldn't count as a speedo?

Although he could well have been right about the rest of the things.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 09:10:15 AM »
The bike has to have a non- resetable odometer.  When you sell the bike you have to record the mileage on the title.  My GPS is more accurate than most bike speedo's.
KX 500 Rider

Offline demographic

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 06:47:14 AM »
The bike has to have a non- resetable odometer.  When you sell the bike you have to record the mileage on the title.  My GPS is more accurate than most bike speedo's.

Ahh, I get you.

They don't bother about that over here.

Offline 93KX5Rider

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:48:48 AM »
close call.