Author Topic: What gets powder coat off  (Read 10544 times)

Offline BDI

What gets powder coat off
« on: May 08, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »
I have a swing arm I want to put on my road bike. It is factory powder coated I guess :? I have tried air craft stripper and it softened it up but didn't boil it off. The swing arm can't be blasted or sanded I need the factory raw finish. Anyone know of a product that will take off powder coat, factory baked on paint or what ever the hell it is.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: What gets powder coat off
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 07:37:50 PM »
a buddy of me has his own beading/coating shop , im gonna ask him how he does that removal
can you put up a pic here ,bdi ?
just for us to see the actual piece .

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 05:03:59 AM »
I hope this helps :| I dont want to disturb the underlying metal in any way.

Offline KX500freak

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 09:35:30 AM »
its almost sunday here,but monday morning when im going to my garage,
i drive by him to show this pic and ask the question .
i will come tru with this  :-)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:45:45 AM »
here's a link that might help you out BDI.

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/clinics/0500cl_pwd1.html

you also may want to give gasket remover a try. the spray kind is really nasty stuff. we use it at work all the time and if you get it on a surface that you didn't mean to then you can kiss the paint goodbye. this stuff is pretty cheap and worth a try.

MADDOGGY
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:49:20 AM by maddoggy »

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »
Thanks guys for the help :-) This is the stuff Im using now and it is very nasty stuff I highly recomend it. Unfortionatly It's not working to well on this. I'm thinking of putting it in a plastic tub and poring a whole gallon on it and just start basting it like a turky. The test spot I did get soft and I could scratch it off with my finger nail but it didn't boil off like I want. I don't want to do any scratching to get the paint off. I'm hoping that the swing arm was clear anodized before it was painted. If it wasn't I'm going to send it off and have it clear anodized. The whole idea is to have it look factory.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 02:30:31 PM »
Your correct, no blasting if you want the factory look.  We use Aircraft stripper from O'Reilly's auto parts.  A good rule on chemical strippers:  If you get it on your skin and you don't run to the bathroom to wash it off, then it's not good for stripping paint.  On powder coated steel we use the stripper to soften, then we blast it off with plastic bead.
KX 500 Rider

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »
I can't guarantee that this was powder coat, but I used gasket removal spray to soften the paint on some tripple clamps and then took it off by hand using a 316SS wire brush.  The 316 brush polishes the aluminum but does not scratch it. Cam.

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 03:59:07 PM »
Your correct, no blasting if you want the factory look.  We use Aircraft stripper from O'Reilly's auto parts.  A good rule on chemical strippers:  If you get it on your skin and you don't run to the bathroom to wash it off, then it's not good for stripping paint.  On powder coated steel we use the stripper to soften, then we blast it off with plastic bead.

The stuff I'm using will make your ass run for water if you get so much as a drop on you. It is the same stuff as aircraft stripper. Thanks guys for all your help it is probably just going to be a lot of work basting it turky style.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 02:52:18 AM »
What about brake fluid, I've never tried it as a stripper , but have gotten it on painted surfaces before and bye  bye paint if you don't get it off right away. CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline KX500freak

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »
Thanks guys for the help :-) This is the stuff Im using now and it is very nasty stuff I highly recomend it. Unfortionatly It's not working to well on this. I'm thinking of putting it in a plastic tub and poring a whole gallon on it and just start basting it like a turky. The test spot I did get soft and I could scratch it off with my finger nail but it didn't boil off like I want. I don't want to do any scratching to get the paint off. I'm hoping that the swing arm was clear anodized before it was painted. If it wasn't I'm going to send it off and have it clear anodized. The whole idea is to have it look factory.

http://www.kleanstrip.com/

bdi ,i went to my buddy,s shop and i asked him what he generally does with this kind of stuff,
he looked at the pic and said ,if no stripper works ,it won,t come off like u peel the skin off of  a snake
you will be scratching nails for days ,like you said ,thats,s no option ...
only thing was to blast it ,but thats just what you don,t want ..

either way ,goodluck on the job  :-)

Offline BDI

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »
Its funny I decided to test the stripper on the back side of the swing arm spars first. The stripper took the paint off of every where else just like I wanted it to. It will not come off of a few select places for some reason. I even tried brake fluid  :?

Offline don46

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 10:18:42 AM »
I know you don't want to blast it with an abrasive, but have you thought of having it CO2 blasted? it doesn't damage the metal and leaves no residue. I've not tried it myself but have done some research and it seems like it may be an option.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline BDI

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
I havn't heard of that process before. Do you have a link  :? it sound interesting. probably not done localy with my luck.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 01:29:55 PM »
Continental carbonics does the CO2 blasting but its used for cleaning mainly , the company my brother works for has them come in every so often to clean envelope machines, used to take off excess ink & glue .Maybe you used the wrong DOT #   HA HA  :-D,CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!