Author Topic: Checking the KIPS  (Read 3681 times)

Offline iambigd

Checking the KIPS
« on: May 05, 2009, 01:23:49 PM »
I had my engine completely rebuilt. I set it in the frame and had my finger in the exhaust port and noticed the valve was loose. It's not so loose that it moves very far but loose enough that I can tap on it and it goes up an 1/8 of an inch or so. It this normal?

I also noticed that the bottom of the valve is not flush with the top of the port but I'm not sure it's supposed to be. Anyone know if that's right? Here are a few pics, I took these with my iphone so they may not be very good. I would like to fix this (if it needs to be) before I put my K5 back together.

Peace

Offline cbxracer30

Re: Checking the KIPS
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 01:55:38 PM »
I have replaced the side pins that operate the upper valve and this helps but if you still have alot of play then you will have to replace both side barrels thats what it took to fix mine and take the play out of it.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline iambigd

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
I have replaced the side pins that operate the upper valve and this helps but if you still have alot of play then you will have to replace both side barrels thats what it took to fix mine and take the play out of it.CBX

I'm not sure what you mean by side pins? The valves on the right and left sides are solid, I am referring to the center valve.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 02:09:35 PM by iambigd »

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »
sometimes the bushing at the buttom of the cylinder wear too, and top of base gasket surface on crankcase. When Stewart shaved .020 off of my cylinder base it got the slop out of my kips. Or if you are running thicker base gasket.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:50:50 PM »
The center part of the the power valve is operated by pins on each side that extend out into the grooves in the side valve barrels . The pins will wear and develope flat spots and or the grooves in the side valves will wear both of these conditions will give you slop-play  in the valve action. CBX

Offline iambigd

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 01:16:14 PM »
The center part of the the power valve is operated by pins on each side that extend out into the grooves in the side valve barrels . The pins will wear and develope flat spots and or the grooves in the side valves will wear both of these conditions will give you slop-play  in the valve action. CBX

So you replaced the center valve, which what I think I need to do.

Thanks

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 08:48:59 AM »
No I replaced the pins in the center valve and bought brand new side valves . I would replace the pins first and see if this takes the slop out also you can look at the side valves and see if they are worn , the grooves the pins ride in have a shamfered edge around it and if this shamfered edge is worn away then your valve is shot . CBX

Offline iambigd

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 02:12:50 PM »
No I replaced the pins in the center valve and bought brand new side valves . I would replace the pins first and see if this takes the slop out also you can look at the side valves and see if they are worn , the grooves the pins ride in have a shamfered edge around it and if this shamfered edge is worn away then your valve is shot . CBX

I must not be getting it. My center valve is 3 pieces, the first part being the center valve itself which I am assuming is the piece which when I look into my exhuast port is directly in the middle/top and goes up and down when I push the KIPS rod in and out. The second part would be the PIN that attaches to the part which has the two bolt holes. If I am right I cannot replace just the pins, I would have to replace the first part of my center valve. I have already order the complete replacement but if I am missing something PLEASE let me know.

I ordered it from ronayers.com and the part number is 12005-1111 VALVE-EXHAUST,CENTER.

Here is the link.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/3/Make/Kawasaki/YearID/38/Year/1997/ModelID/4125/Model/KX500/GroupID/129917/Group/Cylinder_Head/Cylinder(1/2)

Please let me know if this is the part you are talking about. I don't want to have to do this again.

Thanks

Offline iambigd

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 04:16:54 AM »