Author Topic: Water Pump Question  (Read 1781 times)

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

Water Pump Question
« on: May 03, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »
Went for a ride today adn the bike dumped all the coolant out.  When I got back home and gave it a good check, it appears that the water pump is not working.  When I pulled the pump cover and spun it by hand it did not feel like there was a gear on the back side of the shaft.  How hard are the pumps to rebuild and does anyone have instructions listed some place?  Any good places toorder from?

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Water Pump Question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:03:31 AM »
You need to buy yourself a service manual first. I'm going off memory here but I think the water pump shaft itself had a gear made on the end of it and that was driven by a plastic gear (I'm not sure)?? The plastic gear I'm thinking of might be the one for the power valve actuator. You'll need to remove the clutch side cover to get a better look at. The impeller is just bolted to the water pump shaft.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 12:13:16 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

Re: Water Pump Question
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 08:02:13 AM »
The pump rebuild is easy.  ABEC7 bearings, you can use skateboard ones or I got some super quality ones from a bearing shop for $2 each.  The seal you have to get from a dealer.  Get a pump cover gasket while you are at it.  The small bearing in the main case is a little interresting to get out but when you get there post and I will post a pic of the puller I made out of an old bolt. Cam.