Author Topic: 1991 kx500 clarke dez tank  (Read 2234 times)

Offline atrain40

1991 kx500 clarke dez tank
« on: May 02, 2009, 07:25:53 AM »
i just recieved the clarke dez tank 4 gallon and i was puting it on fine then when i got to
putting on the petcock it was off to where one of the bolts would fit but the other was pushed away by 1mm or so to where it would not allow it to fit in. has anybody had this problem before and if so what do i do, is it the tank or did you get another petcock. thanks

Offline serafin

Re: 1991 kx500 clarke dez tank
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
This is common problem with aftermarket tanks.  My experience with clark tanks in the past (have had 2 tanks from clark) is that you need to take a round file and elongate the mounting holes on the petcock.  Make sure you use NEW o-rings.  On my IMS tank the petcock mounting holes were in alignment but the fuel delivery hole needed to be filed to one side a bit.  Just take your time and you should be ok.

Serafin

Offline atrain40

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »
ok thanks alot thats exactly what i was thinking about doing is just grinding out the petcock holes a bit. because it is not off by vary much. i will try it as soon as i can.

Offline atrain40

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 09:49:01 AM »
after almost an hour of grinding with a hand held thing i finally got the tank on but man it was tough, it was like everything was out of whack but i put it on. then i was checking it out after everything was put back together and on the left side down by the petcock the tank is touching the top part of the motor where the metal hose comes out of the head for the radiator coolant. that metal part gets hot and looks like it would melt the tank is this just a thing by my tank or is it a regular thing and will it make a hole in my tank. does anybody else have this problem. thanks