Author Topic: Bandwidth  (Read 2759 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Bandwidth
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:50:25 AM »
Is it just me or has there been a problem with the website?  I keep getting a white screen that says bandwidth exceeded or something when I try to come here.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline Good

• Yo.
Re: Bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 01:07:37 AM »
It's the website.  But, I wonder if there's anything that we can do to help with this issue?  Maybe help keep the bandwidth down?  This place is like my crack, I was having withdrawals yesterday. :-D

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 01:37:50 AM »
This place is like my crack, I was having withdrawals yesterday. :-D

Me too.  My new employer has filtered lots of the stuff I like to waste time with during the day.  This is one of my last hold outs! :roll:
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 01:39:32 AM »
There are 3 things a person has to pay for when operating a forum web site like KXRiders.
You have to buy the domain name, that's cheap, registration is 6 to 20 bucks a year depending on who you use.
Then you have to host the site with a hosting company.
There are 2 things to pay for at a hosting site.
1:  Disk space.  That's the amount of hard drive space for storing all the text, pictures, and information.
2:  Bandwidth.   Here's how I explain it.  When a member or a guest looks at the site they put an X on a line.  If they post a picture or answer a question in a post they put 2 XX's on the line.  Bandwidth is how many X's will fit on that line.  Each month the bandwidth starts at zero.  As the end of the month gets here I will get a message that KXRiders is at 80% of it's bandwidth.
Some months I won't get a notice, others I will receive a notice the last or second to the last day of the month.  This month because of the better weather, more guests are looking and more guest have become members.  That equals more X's on the line.  I called my hosting site and requested more disk space when I should have asked for more band width.  By the time I realized my mistake there were only 3 days left in the month.  We hit the end of the line.  Today we are back to zero.  When I turned in the trouble ticket for more bandwidth I was to late.  Trouble tickets take a few days to fix.  We should not experience any problems for awhile.  I bumped up the disk and the bandwidth.  So if your reading this you are defiantly not twisting the throttle, what's up with that??  Sand in your eye?  Need to service your bike?  Still winter where you live?  OK, get off your rear this weekend, grab a buddy with a camera and show us your big air, giant hill climb, or longest wheelie. 
Surf on, I'm go'n' riding.
Danger.
KX 500 Rider

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 01:40:33 AM »
The problem is that the site has been growing very fast and when we exceed storage space or bandwidth the servers just shut us down. The hosting company has never been very responsive! So when a problem occurs even if we call them within minutes, they don't fix it for 24 hours. Anyway the only real problem is we have growing pains!

Alan :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:48:13 AM »
Alan, when you say "we" are you talking about the site having growing pains or my waist line from me not backing off from the dinner table???  :oops:
KX 500 Rider

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 02:11:05 AM »
Well David, That is a part of age! Every year I eat less and less an I still don't lose much weight!  :cry: :cry: :-o :-o :?
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 02:16:24 AM »
So if your reading this you are defiantly not twisting the throttle, what's up with that?? 

See, I have this mortgage and child support and there's only a slight need for food on the table..............
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 04:12:23 AM »
I'm on the yo- yo diet.  Lose 5 gain 10.  Now that spring and almost summer is here I lose some weight because of all the riding gear and heat.  I'll sweat off 5 pounds on a good weekend ride.  I have to make sure my girlfriend/wife stands next to me and not get hidden behind me.  I'm at the transition point too big for XL and not quite big enough for XXL.  For every 10 pounds lost in body weight, isn't that like adding 1 horse power? :-D
KX 500 Rider

Offline oic0

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 02:53:26 AM »
For every 10 pounds lost in body weight, isn't that like adding 1 horse power? :-D

I thought that was why we bought the most powerful dirtbikes ever made? so we can have our cake, steal everyone else's cake, and then proceed to roost them.

You could always get something like intellitext and still keep the clean website appearance, most of us know how to disable it and those of us who don't will have to stop using their mouse cursor as a place holder in paragrahps (I'm guilty).
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)